trans cooler question

camccardell

I am having a problem keeping my transmission cool in my truck. I have an e4od in my 95 f150 and when I put the cummins in, I had to remove the trans cooler in front of the radiator to make room for the intercooler.

Now I have driven the truck without the cooler, just using the radiator cooler and it seems to get ridiculously hot just driving around.
The gauge gets up to around 220-240. That is kinda scary. The computer that controls the transmission however is only reporting back a temp of 196 or around that area.

The gauge is a glowshift gauge, and that could be the problem, but I don't know for sure.

I have purchased a derale trans cooler. I made a mount for it under the bed of the truck and am getting ready to plumb it. It is a rather large unit with a fan and I am wondering if I should bypass the radiator completely.
The truck will probably never be used for towing. More of an off road trail riding rig.

Ideas on this?

leave the radiator cooler, mount the derale in series as far as the plumbing arrangement goes. Chances are your gauge is correct, however it is reading temperature at a different location that could very well be hotter.

the small heat exchangers incorporated into radiators are definitely not enough to remove the heat.

If you are putting it somewhere that doesn't have as much airflow, put a fan on it if you get into the real rough use of it. Even though automatic transmissions like to run warm keep the beast cool w/ a fan when needed. The E4OD is a pretty tough transmission.

Back