Trans refresh and diagnose

smokeblack13

When in doubt Pin it
I ended up losing reverse in my manual vb 47re that I swapped for the 5600 awhile back. My reverse band and drum are shot. My rear sprag started to spin in the case also. My reverse band piston spring retainer is bent in an odd way also. This trans was originally was in a pulling truck, It has the updated 48re planets and billet shafts. The vb is a stocker with a transgo stick shift kit.I had the tv pressure lever wired open. I found out the converter is a 2600 stall which I am going to have dropped.

Anyway Does anyone have any idea what would cause a failure like this? I will post up some more pictures of the parts. I had reverse for about a month after I put the trans in and then gradually lost it. I adjusted the bands before I put the trans in so I am pretty sure that was not the issue. Steels were a little burnt but clutches didnt look terrible. Also the direct clutch spring is about 1/2" out of square.

I would be curious to the pressures of your trans. It seems have a slew of folks doing VB hacks lately.

ya i just read the post about young gunz trans I am debating to try and reuse my stocker vb or go for an aftermarket unit. I have a suncoast vb that I wish I could swap out or have converted but they said no bueno.

Here is the reverse band

Attachments

• rsz_2011-06-01_19-56-35_411.jpg
    rsz_2011-06-01_19-56-35_411.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 0
ya i just read the post about young gunz trans I am debating to try and reuse my stocker vb or go for an aftermarket unit. I have a suncoast vb that I wish I could swap out or have converted but they said no bueno.

Here is the reverse band

I didnt burn my rear band that bad! i replaced mine just to be safe. I adjusted mine per the shift kit instructions and when i got the VB out the other day it had a bunch of play in it. Reverse still worked fine.

Ok that was the only band I adjusted when I first put the trans in. So I have no clue what it was adjusted at when I put it in. I guess whatever the last guy had it at. I will try and get more pictures up soon.

By the way my reverse drum looked I am guessing it was not just out of adjustment. It looks almost like it was engaged when It wasnt suppose to be. The rear servo retaining ring is in bad shape also. It looks like the spring had a bad side force on it.

By the way my reverse drum looked I am guessing it was not just out of adjustment. It looks almost like it was engaged when It wasnt suppose to be. The rear servo retaining ring is in bad shape also. It looks like the spring had a bad side force on it.

Too tight on the the band adjustment does just that, keeps it engaged when it isn't supposed to be.

rps20110602_091653.jpg

rps20110602_091723.jpg

Were you using a stock rear servo?

I have seen that before. Main cause...rear band to tight OR the rear servo cocks in the case and stays caught in the bore. Put a 300 psi pressure gauge on the rear port when you get it put back together. If your are seeing 250 psi or more it is a VB issue. Upgrade the rear servo. That stock one is garbage for anything other than a stock trans.

call dtt(dieseltrans) they have a diy vb kit that comes with everything to build you own, way more advanced that just a regular transgo, and the price is not bad. ive been waiting for mine for weeks tho, because they were on backorder, should be here today or tomorrow

I did the same thing to that washer on my truck. It is fro, the band being worn down and overextending. I put it in the vice and straightened it out. Buy a goerend valve body, you won't be dissapointed. I went from a suncoast, to the goerend. My trans is never confused anymore, it doesn't shift constantly. It is finally a pleasure to drive my truck again

Back