trans temps....

triton

Scarlet Fever
Hello people. I'm new to this forum and I'll start my first post with a question if you don't mind.

What are the average temps you guys are seeing with fully built trannys ? Obviously, because of the higher pressures they'll be a little higher but, I'm trying to figure an average.

With some playing around on the peddle, I see around 190F and towing my boat ( not real heavy ) I've seen 210F. That is going up pretty steep inclines on twisty roads in the mountains.

Sound normal ?

Last edited:
When I had mine rebuilt, it ran maybe 5 degrees hotter than ambient...but it didn't run any hotter towing or running hard than before the rebuild.

They did increase line pressure in mine (up to the point it would trip the pressure sender causing it to hit limp mode once in a while)...and I was running straight Dexron III, not ATF+3 (what I attributed the increase in temp to...).

steved

I have seen as high as 180 degrees towing a 9500lbs trailer.. just driving down the road unloaded i hardly dont see 150 degrees..

Do you have a deep trans pan, or even a double deep pan? Either one would help the tempatures

Ive always understood the "built" trannies will run a bit hotter from the aftermarket TC adding more heat to the mix...(from slipping more at the higher stall speed?)

Just for comparison(might not help), but my tranny is stock, im seeing 150-160 cruising down the highway @ 70-75, and as high as 195-200* sitting in stop and go...

btw, I have a mag hytec deep pan, trans temp in the hot line(via diesel manor tap)

from what I have heard and from personal experience, a built tranny is about 100* hotter than outside.

80* outside + 100* equals about 180, unloaded, on level ground

Pooter said:
Ive always understood the "built" trannies will run a bit hotter from the aftermarket TC adding more heat to the mix...(from slipping more at the higher stall speed?)

Just for comparison(might not help), but my tranny is stock, im seeing 150-160 cruising down the highway @ 70-75, and as high as 195-200* sitting in stop and go...

btw, I have a mag hytec deep pan, trans temp in the hot line(via diesel manor tap)

I will start by sayin I am no auto guy, but I am pretty sure that you are thinking of transmissions built for gas motors. I thought the converters (in built trannys) for diesels where designed to lock up sooner and have less slip. Therefor placing a load on the motor sooner, building boost sooner, and making power sooner.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

wap said:
I will start by sayin I am no auto guy, but I am pretty sure that you are thinking of transmissions built for gas motors. I thought the converters (in built trannys) for diesels where designed to lock up sooner and have less slip. Therefor placing a load on the motor sooner, building boost sooner, and making power sooner.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

I might be wrong as well, I just remember someone saying they typically ran hotter than a relatively stock trans. Cant remember why exactly though, wheres a transmission guy when you need him?:poke:

I believe you are right about locking up sooner, but im still not sure why youd see more heat from less slippage?:eek:

I thought it'd run cooler with less slippage but what do I know...?

FWIW- mine runs around 155-160 on the open road at around 65mph.

Stop and go traffic is where it gets hottest. Couple days ago it was in the 90's here and my temp was at 200 mostly and hit 205 at one time. I hate heavy city traffic. :evil

Back