trans vibrating *help*

SKYNYRD

"Drunkard"
guys i need some help figuring out whats happening. after i swapped my cam i had some fluid come out of the trans and could not figure out where. made sure the trans was filled and drove it when coming to a stop i get a vibration just be for it down shift to first then sometimes i get a vibration while sitting at a stop. if i shift it to neutral it the vibration stops, shift back to drive sometimes it comes back sometimes it doesn't. i have changed the filter and fluid and still getting the vibration. the fluid was fine color wise and there wasn't much on the drain plug. also my trans temps seem to be running a little high but performance wise no difference in the shifts or driving.

I had that vibration when I did my first twin setup. What was happening is as I slowed to a stop the tq converter would start loading the motor and it would "twist" just enough to make my downpipe hit the bellhousing of the transmission and cause a vibration. If I would kick it in neutral the vibration would stop.

Start with the simple things and check for any clearance issues with exhaust, etc.

Lavon

only thing is it didn't start until after the cam install and i had trans fluid leak and my trans temps are about 30-40 degrees higher

Man that could be several things. Like stated before, just start with the simplest things you can think of.

Could be a flexplate cracking.
TC bolt backed out.
Trans pump going bad.- Where is your tranny leak? If it appears to be coming out of the bottom of the bell housing, the pump may be shot and tore up the front seal. Pumps not working when you put it in nuetral, so it stops the vibration.
Are you sure your not starting in 2nd gear? Could just be a piece of junk stuck in the VB.

No idea why it would happen after a cam swap.

Good luck,

J.D.

Man that could be several things. Like stated before, just start with the simplest things you can think of.

Could be a flexplate cracking.
TC bolt backed out.
Trans pump going bad.- Where is your tranny leak? If it appears to be coming out of the bottom of the bell housing, the pump may be shot and tore up the front seal. Pumps not working when you put it in nuetral, so it stops the vibration.
Are you sure your not starting in 2nd gear? Could just be a piece of junk stuck in the VB.

No idea why it would happen after a cam swap.

Good luck,

J.D.

could i have knocked some crap loose when i rotated and pulled the trans cooler out of the way to do the cam??

Might check to make sure the lines didn't get kinked. Most DDT trannys have the check ball removed from the cooler line for better circulation. Thats not saying with 100% that yours isn't still there.

Easiest way to check on the cooler lines is to take off the rear return line of the tranny. This is how most shops do a flush. Just start the truck in nuetral, when you put it in gear fluid should come gushing out. Only leave it in gear for maybe 10 seconds, then kill the truck and put the line back on.

If you have a cooler or line problem there won't be much fluid coming out.
Thing I don't get is that your shifts are still firm. With a bad pump or plugged cooler I would think your shifts would soften alot from lack of fluid.

Anyhow, good luck and keep us posted on what you find,

J.D.

thanks for the info on flushing the cooler i will definitely do that. i'm not sure if the check valve is removed or not it had a garmon trans in it when i bough the truck and i swapped my hts trans in from my totaled truck.

Back