transfer case troubles?

ISBand4BT

Well, i had to pull my mother's 3/4 ton out of someone's yard today. Went to put it in 4high and when i went to move ahead, i could go for a little bit, but then it would make a loud grinding noise, then quit. I am not sure exactly what it could be other than maybe the shift forks in the transfer case may be junk. I believe it is a 231c transfer case.

Any input?

This is in my Dakota. Wasnt too sure where to put it, but i figured since its older and running an nv4500 someone may have an idea.

2wd works just fine though?? Now when you say quit, it would make the noise and then just not move? Clarify a little here, but it sounds like the fork to engage 4x4 has worn on ya. Strange though, I usually see the high side of the range fork wear out first.

yeah, 2wd works great. The guy i got it off of on here said that it worked fine and everything worked as it should. I'm going to get it up on the lift here sometime and put it in 4wd and rotate everything. Try to figure somethin out.

transfer issues

If its behind a 4500 should be a 241, unless it is a 231 adapted for your app. that noise however, is almost always a shift fork that has lost its nylon bushings and has worn the fork down. This makes the slider gear not engage fully, and is prone to popping out or causing grinding noises. Fork should be pretty cheap, try southwest gear or transstar.

the guy i got it off of said it was a 231. i'll check into southwest gear or transstar. Thanks.

Back