Transmission choices

Ja564rm80

I know the nv4500 is the ideal transmission to use. But I'm wondering if anyone is or has used a np435 transmission. I have one with a bell housing that will bolt right to my motor. Just haven't found much for clutches or shafts. Is this a decent transmission to use or just go the nv4500 route?

Where did you find a bell housing to bolt an NP435 to a Cummins?
It's a decent transmission for a big block gas engine and it MIGHT survive behind a Cummins, but the killer would be no overdrive.

Urp!:hehe: I see you never mentioned the engine you are using, sorry if I was presumptuous, I have Cummins on the brain.

Mark.

Last edited:
Sorry yes it is a cummins motor. The tranny already has a aftermarket bell housing on it. I just haven't found a 1 3/8 input shaft or any triple disc clutches for it for sled pulling. The ratio in 3rd gear puts us where we want to be be rpm an wheel speed wise

Save your time, money, and sanity. Ditch it and use what works.
Just be aware that NV4500s, even with the proper upgrades, will still come apart with 2k plus foot pounds of torque running through them.

Mark.

I know nothing is bullet proof. Just hoping since I already have a np435 I could save some coin and not have to buy a transmission to build

Can't find anything on the SCS site about the strait gears. Anyone running them will opinions on how it holds up compared to the stock gears and price on that setup?

Sorry, meant to say profab. I guess I had SCS stuck in my head for some reason.

We ran NP435 transmissions in gas pullers for many years without any issues. They are good for about 1000 hp and not much more. I certainly would not recommend putting this behind a Cummins.....it wont live!
Find an NV4500. I believe Kennys Pulling parts makes an output shaft for it....not sure if he makes the internals for it or not.
I have always ran a Pro Fab reverser behind my 3.0 Cummins.

Back