Transmission cooler

mxhunter147

Gear Head
I'm in the process of converting my 06 dodge with a G56 to a 48re. I have everything to do the swap except a cooler. I've checked probably 20 salvage yards in the local area for both a dodge and a 6.0 powerstroke cooler because of its bigger size, and no one has anything.

I checked on eBay and found a couple 6.0 coolers, but I ran across this one and it's actually the same dimensions as the 6.0 cooler only it's 1/4" thicker and a little cheaper. It says it's for an Allison because of the bigger inlets on it but I can't find what size the holes are in the 48re are to compare.

Could someone tell me what size the holes in the transmission for the cooler lines are? And also do you guys see any downfall to this over the 6.0 cooler?

transmissioncoolers.us: High flow cooler - 3/4" fitting, 24.0 x 13.0 x 1.5 Overall size

The actual fittings at the transmission at small 1/4" pipe thread on the 47rh and 47re. I assume the 48's are the same, but don't know first hand.

I used the stock A/C condenser, it flows okay and is huge.

It is a big cooler, but I want to keep my factory AC condenser where it's at. Is it possible to have a cooler that flows too freely?

Last edited:
Back