Transmission gear selection is very loose?

My uncle just picked up a 97 12 valve recently and drove it home from Mississippi. It's got an auto tranny and the gear selector is very loose, it doesn't click from one gear to the next. We confirmed the cable connection is good, the shaft is turning that heads into the transmission.

For what I remember from having a 48RE apart is that there is a plate with grooves in it and a ball with a detent spring behind it. This should make it click from one gear to the next and prevent it from being right between two gears.

So would this be worn out then? I can't remember if this is part of the VB or not?

Also, would this tranny be a 47RH or 47RE?

Thanks

Part of the VB, should be a clamp on the shaft, make sure it is tight. It is very similar to the 48RE, the ball and what not.

Yeah check the last part of the linkage, where it clamps to the external stud for the valve body, it's prob loose, and it'll make the shifter slopy

There is a ball and spring that the rooster comb (detent) rides on that is located on the top side of the vb. I have seen them fall out before due to the c-clip on the shaft or the v/b bushing.

It appears that the arm that mounts to the VB shaft is worn out or needs replaced. It has alot of slop in it before it starts to move the VB shaft. Once it does though, you can hear it click through the gears good. So hopefully it just needs replaced.

Back