Transmission heat exchanger delete.

mykal41

TrukWurks
I would to gather some opinions on deleting the heat exchanger on the 48re.
I am doing a fleece coolant bypass this weekend and this topic has been discussed in other threads, however I thought it would be beneficial to get the info in its own thread.

I am to the understanding that the 07.5 trucks have done away with the exchanger all together.

We have had to change the little bypass hose behind the turbo many times on our trucks up here. So this would be a plus. However our concern is the temperature. We see the air temp go from 100 in the summer to 0 in the winter.

Any real world results would be greatly appreciated.

If you never tow with it you'll be fine. Mine gets a little warm without it (built 47re) so I have to keep an eye on it. Hauling flat, under 15k, with the TC locked and it's fine, but I wouldn't take on any mountains or seriously heavy loads like this. I plan on redoing it and making one this summer.

mine has been gone for almost 2 years. and i have my trans cooler set to never bypass. i have liked it a lot.

the trans stays cold in the winter on the highway but im fine with that.

the only down side is with my converter and my setup i always tow with OD off. this way i stay on top of the turbo

Mine was bypassed when I bought my truck. I had to put one on, anytime I was towing and came to a town or had to sit in a line at a racetrack, truck pull, ect I would over heat!

My trucks a 06 with a goerend tranny

mine has been gone for almost 2 years. and i have my trans cooler set to never bypass. i have liked it a lot.

the trans stays cold in the winter on the highway but im fine with that.

the only down side is with my converter and my setup i always tow with OD off. this way i stay on top of the turbo

How'd you set the bypass to always go? I might do that and toss a bd xtrude trans cooler on as well.

I would to gather some opinions on deleting the heat exchanger on the 48re.
I am doing a fleece coolant bypass this weekend and this topic has been discussed in other threads, however I thought it would be beneficial to get the info in its own thread.

I am to the understanding that the 07.5 trucks have done away with the exchanger all together.

We have had to change the little bypass hose behind the turbo many times on our trucks up here. So this would be a plus. However our concern is the temperature. We see the air temp go from 100 in the summer to 0 in the winter.

Any real world results would be greatly appreciated.

I'm running the Fleece by-pass and deleted the heat exchanger on my early '07 5.9 with an aftermarket transmission cooler mounted under the truck between the frame rails. The only time it gets hotter than 180* is when they hot lap us at the track. Trans is a full billet Firepunk competition stage 2 unit.

How'd you set the bypass to always go? I might do that and toss a bd xtrude trans cooler on as well.

I'll share my own experience with the BD Xtrude transmission cooler. It is a decent unit when it works, however my fan sh!t the bed after only 5 months and you CAN NOT get replacement parts from them. The explanation I got from BD was that they receive these from their vendor as a whole unit and you can't just purchase a replacement fan....you have to buy another complete cooler.
I now have a Derale transmission cooler that will be mounted in sequence with the POS from BD before this Spring. They are cheaper and by all accounts, better.
Link here: http://derale.com/products/fluid-coolers/transmission/remote-mount2013-10-28-09-53-271226240719/13-row-series-9000-plate-fin-transmission-cooler-kit-detail

Good luck!

Should be fine if you don't tow hard but if your really nailing the converter it's amazing how much heat that liquid cooler sinks.

I'll share my own experience with the BD Xtrude transmission cooler. It is a decent unit when it works, however my fan sh!t the bed after only 5 months and you CAN NOT get replacement parts from them. The explanation I got from BD was that they receive these from their vendor as a whole unit and you can't just purchase a replacement fan....you have to buy another complete cooler.
I now have a Derale transmission cooler that will be mounted in sequence with the POS from BD before this Spring. They are cheaper and by all accounts, better.
Link here: http://derale.com/products/fluid-coolers/transmission/remote-mount2013-10-28-09-53-271226240719/13-row-series-9000-plate-fin-transmission-cooler-kit-detail

Good luck!

I've been on the fence between the two (BD and Derale) but have always had good experiences with everything BD I've been around. You definitely just pushed me towards Derale. Thanks for sharing!

And you've had no issues towing heavy stuff without the TC locked with just an extra cooler with fan instead of the Coolant to trans fluid cooler?

Also, still, how did any of you get the cooler to run full time? I'm assuming there's a little tstat in there that has to come out somehow?

Last edited:
I've been on the fence between the two (BD and Derale) but have always had good experiences with everything BD I've been around. You definitely just pushed me towards Derale. Thanks for sharing!

And you've had no issues towing heavy stuff without the TC locked with just an extra cooler with fan instead of the Coolant to trans fluid cooler?

Also, still, how did any of you get the cooler to run full time? I'm assuming there's a little tstat in there that has to come out somehow?

The thermostat is optional, I had the fan on the BD wired into the ignition, the Derale will be on a toggle switch.
As for towing I'm running the stock trans cooler and the BD, (without fan, lol) and don't have any issue's with excessive heat at all. I towed a 1/2 ton truck this past fall on a 70 degree day and temps hovered right around 165* the whole way, even in stop and go traffic.

Trans temp via OBD II port with ancient Quadzilla gauge pod because I'm too cheap to buy analogs. :lolly:

The thermostat is optional, I had the fan on the BD wired into the ignition, the Derale will be on a toggle switch.
As for towing I'm running the stock trans cooler and the BD, (without fan, lol) and don't have any issue's with excessive heat at all. I towed a 1/2 ton truck this past fall on a 70 degree day and temps hovered right around 165* the whole way, even in stop and go traffic.

I meant on the stock oil to air cooler by the radiator.

What location is everyone measuring the fluid at; pan, line, etc?

Off the pan. Is there a better spot? I suppose exiting fluid temp would be best.
Maybe I'll pick up a T fitting if I've got space there.

Just went thru this Put new motor in and deleted it. Bad decision on any heavy tow it would get real hot real fast! Sitting in stop and go traffic or hot dogging it temp would climb too fast! Spent 3 hours putting it back on and spent another 300. on new lines and hoses since I chopped mine up to reroute lesson learned! It's there for a reason really works well!

I run the double stacked cooler and that thing is amazing. Now granted mines mounted in my bed with a 6" hole under it for some air flow. I see 180 in traffic and it'll stay solid 150 cruising down the highway. Now that is also reading the temperature coming start from pressure line.

Just went thru this Put new motor in and deleted it. Bad decision on any heavy tow it would get real hot real fast! Sitting in stop and go traffic or hot dogging it temp would climb too fast! Spent 3 hours putting it back on and spent another 300. on new lines and hoses since I chopped mine up to reroute lesson learned! It's there for a reason really works well!
No remote coolers?

I have the BD double stack and planned on removing the heat exchange when I install it. I tow heavy and now I'm rethinking that idea. How many have actually had a heat exchanger fail, particularly on a cr?

No remote coolers?

I have the BD double stack and planned on removing the heat exchange when I install it. I tow heavy and now I'm rethinking that idea. How many have actually had a heat exchanger fail, particularly on a cr?

Two remote fan cooled stacked coolers and I needed to have them on all the time with the Heat exchanger removed! Before it never got above 160 without the fans on!
I forgot to mention that I also removed the front factory cooler at the same time! I have since put it back on also!

Deleted and I run a derale under the bed . No issues at all but I also never tow .

Back