transmission issues

CTD01

Junk collector
Ok me and my buddys are putting together a 98.5 ppump 24 valve for sled pulling. To give you guys a little background on the truck it has 188/220, 13mm pump set at 28* with the fuel plate almost all the way back afc foot starts to move around 7 psi. It has pretty large injectors an s465 with a .9 exhaust housing. I used a 12 valve tps and tv cable which seem to work good because I have lock up, o/d and tv lever has mabey 1/8 till it hits the stop with the pedal on the floor. Now we ordered a transmission right from DTT all built up billet shafts ect and a 2500 stall converter. Installed voltage regulator and set it to 4.6 with truck running. We put tranny in and went through there pressure checking procedure. First off we noticed if you put it in drive and step on the brake whether you floor it or bring rpms up gradually it will only go up to 1400 rpms. That to me doesnt sound like any 2500 stall speed. Pressure on center port idling is 80 and never goes any higher then 90 driving the truck. Why so low? All shift points are very low 1400-1700. Now if you manualy shift it it goes great because charger starts to light at around 2100. I got to call them tommorow but I would like some input from you guys and lets not make this a battle of the brands. Sorry for the long post Paul.

Last edited:
The line pressure should definitely go up much more when driving. I would expect 170+ when at full throttle. Could be an issue with the tv valve or pr valve.

If you can get ahold of bill I'm sure he can help.

Yea have to call him tommorow that is around stock pressure. Tough getting ahold of them. The tv cable seems good If im on the floor its almost on the stop. The adjustment is all the way back. What do you think about stall speed? It doesnt feel like any 2500 stall. I have a protorque billet converter in an other truck and that stall speed is lower then stock and it feels higher then this.

If you trust someone to hold the brakes in gear you can unhook the tv cable and roll under the truck and manually pull the lever to see if pressure increases. If the tvcable is working you aren't likely to see an increase though.

Can't help on the stall speed but sure doesn't sound right

Yea I know cable is pulling on the transmission lever about 1/8" shy of full throttle stop because I watched it move while I had someone in the truck working the throttle and i crawled under the truck and it only moved around 1/8" more by hand. Was hoping to make the first pull but looks like not with this converter. I hope they make good for it we spent the money to have it right and now I probabaly have to take trans back out buy another few gallons of tranny fluid and miss the pull.

Last edited:
Well just got off the phone with DTT and turns out they sent a converter with a lower then stock stall speed instead of a 2500 stall. Waiting on a call back from bill about pressures.

They said pressures are good. So i told them no they are not because center port is only 80-90 psi max and they told me to put it in gear with gauge on move tv lever on trans and watch psi. I said isnt that what I am doing when im floored on the road if the cable is pulling almost to the stop. He said check that and call me back. Then we discussed the converter andfirst they told me they sent wrong one then they told me that I want a lower then stock stall speed so again I said no so they gave me phils number who builds the converters. I called him and he said dtt didnt order any tc from him for a 2.6 truck recently. When tranny was ordered we specified that this would be in a strictly 2.6 pull truck. So we discussed that the converter they sent me wont work for a 2.6 truck with a s400 based charger. Phil is right on his game he told me exactly how the truck acts just by what is done to the truck and having the wrong converter in it. He said he will restall it for free I just got to pay to get it there. If you ask me dtt owes us on this one. Very disappointed with the service from DTT.

Last edited:
I can honestly say my friends and I will never purchase another thing from DTT. Just got off the phone with them again and they blamed phil for sending me the wrong converter but yesterday they told me that the sent me a lower then stock stall. So obviously they are the ones to blame not phil. So now trans has to come back out again and they told me thats not there problem. I have delt with alot of companies in the past some good some bad but this company is by far the worst. A good company would offer to pay labor or give some sort of reimbursement when you spend almost $6000. Not DTT

That sucks with DTT, i like some of their parts but the customer service keeps me from buying their stuff anymore.

I would try to figure out the low line pressure issue before you pull the trans, that way you can fix both issues at once.

Yep Guna hook a gauge to it before we pull it and call back. Another thing is its hard to get ahold of them. Guess we ain't making the pull with that truck Saturday.

What a bummer!
Isn't raychem one of their builders? Maybe he could chime in here and see if he can help.

Talked to bill tonight did what he told me with tv lever it made 105 psi and he said thats good. So according to him the 1/8 inch is too much play in the lever to the stop so I will get a new cable but still doesnt help the fact that the wrong converter is in there that they screwed up and sent me. He told me max pressure during lock up is around 130 psi which still seems low to me.

The last Transgo kit I put in made ~140psi at the center port. That was for a truck that's only 300hp. That's a wot run on the street.

is he having you check pressures at idle only? Maybe that's why it seems low compared to what I'm thinking. I've never only checked it at idle

Last edited:
Yea that last test was at idle but he said that max should be around 130. This truck should be around 700 hp I would imagine.

Ok got converter back from phil. I have to say he is a man of his word he told me I would have it before the weekend and I did. The higher stall is way better but I belive there is still somthing wrong in the tranny. I put a brand new kickdown cable on and adjusted it to zero play when the pedal is on the floor. The tranny shifts like you just stepped in a puddle of mud. It is a soft mushy kinda slide into the next gear shift. I have an 01 with a built dtt tranny and it shifts nice and firm a very positive shifts. So we called dtt they asked us about the cable and we told them we put a new cable with zero lash between cable and stop in the tranny they said ok thats good check the pressures and get back to them. How much can they change by changing the converter. We are pretty fed up with this company alot of playing around over the phone for spending all the money that was spent on this tranny.

I feel for you, I would keep the converter and try to get a refund. I had a bad vibe from them when I contacted them for a Trans. It seems like they throw prices out before trying to learn what you need.

Last edited:
Guna be a pain trying to get a refund. It sucks there like 3000 miles away.

We put a trans go tfod-3 in it and the screw for the pressure adjustment was 5 turns from dtt. In the directions for the trans go it says 5 is for a fire breathing dragon lol. I have read posts on here about people goin to 7 turns. What do you guys think leave it at 5?

Back