transmission options?

Chevycummins

Bad case of Tinkeritis!
cousin has a 91.5 dodge 250 4x4 that had an auto tranny in it til it blew up in a truck pull. now she is looking to either put the original back in or go to a new manual valve body trans. its only going to be a little over stock maybe injectors and some pump tuning but will be daily driven only so kinda interested in an OD trans.

figured i would ask around and see what all is involved to do a swap to say a 47RH trans and would it be worth it?

thanks

michael

A manual valve body for a 727 only costs $200.

To swap to a 47RH you need a new converter, the transmission, and to get jiggy with the crossmember. I don't believe that you need to do anything to lines or linkages. You may need to get custom driveshafts made. The electronics on an RH can be operated with toggles.

i am not too big on the dodge transmissions but what is the 727 and where would i find one?

The 727's were the 3-speeds that they stopped making in '91; non-overdriven.

The 4-speeds that they went to in '91.5 were basically 727's with overdrive, and have manual valve bodies available for around $400.

ok thanks what would it take to possibly upgrade to something from a 2nd gen?

Same bellhousing, felexplate, line positions, shift linkage. Different converter, different mounts, probably need a custom or different drive shaft. Need to run a couple wires and switches.

You need a 47RH, RE's require custom stand-alone controllers. I think the years for the RH are 94 and 95.

Don't take any of that for gospel, but it's what I've heard. The only conversion I've ever done was a 727 to 518.

you'll need: 94/95 trans, engine adapter, flex plate, starter, modify driveshaft(s), modify crossmember, wire in switches/toggles for overdrive and torque converter lockup, etc. etc. etc.

In the whole process right now. Should be fun when it's done :)

Back