Triples & Header Build on Big Angry

Update 17

Stuffed it all in the truck this morning. Everything looks good, so I'll finish welding the piping to the cover and offset and that'll be all she wrote for the charge piping. Just need to make the pipe from the secondary discharge to the intercooler, but that a no brainer.

Update 18

Finally done with the charge piping, don't have to use a single hose coupler other than the hump hose at the intercooler. Every other connection point is a v-band or a weld. No hoses to blow or leak.

A little final fitment....

All three connected and no couplers....

theres alotta schidt hangin offa that manifold.
no acct for twist..or flex?

Well he built that bracket to hold all of the turbos. And he is usually pretty thorough with his builds. So I assume he is accounting for all of that.

With all of the brackets and how thick the manifold is and the motor and turbos moving together I don't really expect twist to be an issue.

We'll see soon though.

Last edited:
Question.

Thanks Rich that really makes sense now. You are using the heat and exhaust straight from the manifold to keep the big one lit. Then feeding the two smaller ones off of it which will in turn feed fresh air into the large one that will in turn just pull more air in. Also simplifying the out lets on the intake side to the inter cooler. The the two smaller ones wont really compete or contribute much when the large one is lit or will they just continue to compound the air going in?

The two 67's are simply acting as a single large charger in a normal set of compounds....they supply the volume which dictates max power output. Two 67.7's are approx equivalent to a single 96 mm charger.

They feed the 72 which is just the high pressure turbo.....all it does is increase the potential pressure.

They all work to dictate power potential. The primaries dictate the volume, the secondary dictates the potential VE with the peak pressure increase.

I did get a little bit done yesterday. I only had a staight section of sch 40 so it wasn't much. The rest of the elbows should be here this morning so I can get going on this hot side. I'm back in school on Monday so whatever I get done between now and then will probably be it as far as tons of time to spend.

Little more info:

The two 67's are simply acting as a single large charger in a normal set of compounds....they supply the volume which dictates max power output. Two 67.7's are approx equivalent to a single 96 mm charger.

They feed the 72 which is just the high pressure turbo.....all it does is increase the potential pressure.

They all work to dictate power potential. The primaries dictate the volume, the secondary dictates the potential VE with the peak pressure increase.

You do realize I've been driving a single 88mmx118mm, undivided .96 T6 with a 93mm turbine wheel on the street?.....nearly smoke free? And I'm going to much smaller 72mm, divided 1.0 T4 with an 87 wheel. I'll let you run the flow numbers, but just to prevent choking the motor on that turbine housing on the top end I have to bypass approx 70% of the exhaust flow past that turbine. That's why I need so much wastegate on this thing.

The only reason I have to bump the nitrous to get on top of that 88 is the converter being so tight....hits 1500 RPM's and stops dead, but at 1800 RPM's I have enough boost to overcome it. Once I hit 2k RPM's I can blow through the converter fast enough to snap the output shaft before even leaving the line.

I've already been running the triple tune on the single, that's what was on the truck in the pass I made in that last video. That tune is 100% geared toward getting on top of the charger on the bottom. Plus, you gotta remember that 72 is just a hot rod 67.7. It's just a slightly larger cousin. 4 mm bigger on the comp wheel, 4 mm bigger on the turbine wheel.

I also have the trans tuned to shift at much higher RPM's than you'd normally see. On the single, at light throttle, I don't even come out of first gear until 2600 RPM's. At WOT, it shifts at 4800 - 5000 RPM's. I tune the shift points around the chargers performance.....that makes all the difference in the world.

It'll be plenty drivable. This is 100% play toy, not daily driven trailer hauler.

Here's today progress...

Started by getting the exhaust temporarily mocked in place so I'd know exactly where / how I could run the rest of the hot pipes....

It won't be exiting as 2 pipes, they'll be merged into a single 5" pipe right there. It'll look similar to the charge pipes going into the secondary.

Might have the worlds only tubine inlet that looks like a ProStock hood scoop. lol.....

That's not rust, it's what's left of the coating on there after it got hit with the acetylene a half dozen times...

The tops of the elbow sits 1 3/8" lower than the top of the compressor housing...lots of room...

And that's it for today....

Update

Here's todays nonsense. Unfortunately, this will probably be all I get done for a while. I go back to school on Monday and I have a bunch of stuff to get done around the house and I need to get the truck halfway mobile again.

Anyways, here's what I got done today....

Had to make the spacer to lengthen the first hotpipe....

Welded the inlet and flange for the top primary...

Made the offset for it so I can keep the hotpipes down low....

Welded the main hot pipe and flange together....

And really this is about it. Still need to make the rest of the other hot pipe and plumb the wastegate and oil lines. But, for now, this is where it's at...

Update

Had a little free time today.

Here's the new 60mm gate vs my old 50mm gate. This thing is a beast....

Hogged out the riser block for the wastegate piping...

Test fit for length. It's actually going to turn 90 degrees toward the back of the motor and the gate will be on its side....

Just need to tweak this back close to circular and make the 90* for it...

He's had zero time due to school. He posted on his CF thread recently saying he had to rob a part off it for his 2012 dually and found a birds nest in it.

I think maybe he'll do something soon being out of school, but he and his wife travel / camp a good bit when they're off.

Back