Trouble with Starting 00 Cummins?

Ragingbull21

I have a 00 3500, It is taking forever to get it started on these cool mornings, or once the motor has cooled off once its warmed up starts fine.

I just put a new F.A.S.S on it has brand new batterys and a new starter. When I bought the truck last year it cranked right over,

Has anyone ever had a grid heater go bad? Is there a Fuez for the Grid heater I should check out?

I have a 00 3500, It is taking forever to get it started on these cool mornings, or once the motor has cooled off once its warmed up starts fine.

I just put a new F.A.S.S on it has brand new batterys and a new starter. When I bought the truck last year it cranked right over,

Has anyone ever had a grid heater go bad? Is there a Fuez for the Grid heater I should check out?

Sounds more like you are loosing fuel prime than anything. Im 6 hours north so I know its colder up here and my trucks are still popping off without grid heaters.

The heater grid is easy to check. Turn on the dome lights, and then turn on the key. The dome lights should dim, while the heater grid is being heated. If they don't, then start checking. I doubt this is your problem though.

The VP44's don't like a lot of fuel pressure when starting. There was even an ECM flash from Dodge to fix the earlier VP44's so that the lift pump would not would not run constantly until the truck started. When you installed the FASS, did you power the relays from the orginal lift pump wiring, or directly from a key on source? The relays should be powered from the orginal lift pump wiring, or you could end up with a hard start.

As Chris mentioned it could also be loosing it prime. If the FASS is wired up to the orginal wiring, you can bump the starter, and the FASS should run for about 20 seconds. That should give it time to prime. You can then turn the key off, and then start it.

Paul

Mine starts like **** also........

I have a Blue chip VP-X pump, mechanical 12 valve lift pump regulated to 17 psi and no grid heaters. If I try to start it cold it spits, sputters, bucks, wont respond to throttle and smokes like a pig. If I spray the air cleaner with a shot of ether it cranks and fires instantly and settles into a smooth idle. And yes, this is using the glow plugs. Mach 6 injectors if it matters. Any ideas????? Thanks

I have a Blue chip VP-X pump, mechanical 12 valve lift pump regulated to 17 psi and no grid heaters. If I try to start it cold it spits, sputters, bucks, wont respond to throttle and smokes like a pig. If I spray the air cleaner with a shot of ether it cranks and fires instantly and settles into a smooth idle. And yes, this is using the glow plugs. Mach 6 injectors if it matters. Any ideas????? Thanks

Glow plugs?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Yea your glow plugs arent working.

Ether plus glow plugs.....cool! I can't imagine why it wouldn't start smooth.

AHHH>....

Ether plus glow plugs.....cool! I can't imagine why it wouldn't start smooth.

Apparently you cant read. It DOES start smooth with ether. And the glow plugs test fine. That was my first thought. Thanks for any ideas.

Ummmmmmm, Do you work on your truck yourself?^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Last edited:

:what:

When did the 5.9 come out with glow plugs?

I will let it slide this time:lolly:

And the rainbow Chuck Norris isnt my doing

Glow plug light... or grid heater light I guess.....

I got the truck with the grid heater deleted.(glow plug light on the fords and chevy) Light still comes on and goes off after 20-30 seconds at key on. Apparently controlled by the ECM. No glow plugs here..:poke:
What I am getting at is even if it is 40-60 degrees it doesnt want to start worth a piss. Sounds HORRIBLE, throttle does absolutely nothing etc. If I walk outside in the a.m., give the air cleaner a shot of ether, it fires and idles fine. Question I have is do these trucks NEED the grid heater at those temps or do I need to look at something else. Thanks

Last edited:
I've started mine without using the grid heater down to 24° just to see if it would.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Glow Plugs ? You got a Duramax in that Dodge lol ? No I was was mistaken when I got my first diesel Cummins are all have grid heaters no glow plugs.

No my domes arnt dimming ill test that today maybe electrical, It has been a problem since last winter that was the reason I put the Fass on thinking it was fuel problem but I guess not, Thank godness it isnt that Injection Pump.

Appreciate the god info guys really do, I stopped going to the Cummins fourm because people would say stupid crap and provide no help to ya seems like a better bunch of folks on here

My '01 started OK at 20F at 5500ft without grid heaters. Was a bit rough for a moment but settled right down, was pretty smoky.

I got the truck with the grid heater deleted.(glow plug light on the fords and chevy) Light still comes on and goes off after 20-30 seconds at key on. Apparently controlled by the ECM. No glow plugs here..:poke:
What I am getting at is even if it is 40-60 degrees it doesnt want to start worth a piss. Sounds HORRIBLE, throttle does absolutely nothing etc. If I walk outside in the a.m., give the air cleaner a shot of ether, it fires and idles fine. Question I have is do these trucks NEED the grid heater at those temps or do I need to look at something else. Thanks

apparently YOU cant read..... Do some searching and figure out my your truck wont start. :blahblah1: Or just keep hitting it with ether....the high hp guys do it, so it must be right

Last edited:
Already checked some things

Map and ait have been checked and swapped. No change there. Air cleaner is a new AFE stage 2. Truck is rather high power for a VP. North of 600 anyway.
It has a helix 2 cam, mach 6 Injectors, HTT hybrid 64 turbo, water/meth injection, edge drag comp, ported head, 12 valve fuel pump, and .020 marine head gasket. If this is a matter of injector angles due to headgasket thickness or cam related, those will be changed this winter anyway. Thanks. New to the cummins stuff, if it was a Ford it would be fixed. Just more often.

Last edited:
Back