Truck Arm Rear Suspension Setup

WisconsinHick1

Has anyone ran a truck arm style rear suspension setup? I am thinking of going to that style this winter with my truck for better road riding and I also drag race with it. I was thinking two arms up toward the transmission and then coilovers on the back side of the arms at a slight angle to the frame and then a pan hard bar to keep it centered. My truck is a RCLB 2wd 01 Duramax.

I know Brett ran it in his old C10 setup but was wondering if anyone has any experience with it?

Dunno where you got the name truck arm...that's just a standard old 2 link suspension.
A 4 link will give you much more adjustability and act better on a drag strip.

Sorry I am use to the old 60's trucks and they all say truck arms. I have no plans of going to a 4 link suspension. I will either stay with the leaf style or go to 2 link style.

A truck arm should work well. They're good suspensions for trucks with a front heavy bias (diesels). Unbroken, quit giving the guy a hard time ;)

Trailing arm suspension.

They can be made to hook well judging by Brett's old setup & tons of gas jobs!

I run truck suspension on my rat rod with screw jacks works good. I have a adjustable pan hard bar ( I think they call it a slide bar) from Hotrods to Hell 530-365-6562 Steve the owner legit guy should be able to answer all your questions

x2 on Hot Rods to Hell...that guy will have you convinced to make everything you own truck arm, and it seems to actually work.

Dunno where you got the name truck arm...that's just a standard old 2 link suspension.
A 4 link will give you much more adjustability and act better on a drag strip.

Stop trying to talk sense. 4 links are a waste of time.

Does anyone know why most trailing arm setups are at an angle but some have straight bars? I was thinking of doing straight but wanted to understand that aspect before I picked one direction.

I understand that the angle assists in centering the rear axle but either way I would need to run a pan hard bar to ensure true center.

Does anyone know why most trailing arm setups are at an angle but some have straight bars? I was thinking of doing straight but wanted to understand that aspect before I picked one direction.

Sounds like you're talking about a ladder bar suspension. Those work well too, mainly drag racing oriented. Different setup though, apples to oranges.

Edit: As a side note, Larry with the Fodge did very well this weekend at the NHRDA finals. Ran 10.89 at 120mph, which is a very good ET/MPH ratio, so the truck arms were working for sure.

Last edited:
Sounds like you're talking about a ladder bar suspension. Those work well too, mainly drag racing oriented. Different setup though, apples to oranges.

Edit: As a side note, Larry with the Fodge did very well this weekend at the NHRDA finals. Ran 10.89 at 120mph, which is a very good ET/MPH ratio, so the truck arms were working for sure.

Yes The Fodge truck arms where built by Hotrods To Hell and I have talked to them about a setup and they said it'll handle anything you throw at it if build right.

Back