truck died and wont fire.

97strokeonit

STROKE-A-HOLIC
I was pulling in my driveway almost idling and the truck just died. didnt sputter out or run funny just died. The trailer charge fuse was blown but none others. There is fuel in the fuel bowl and shoots out when it is cranked and bled. All the tachometer moves and lights and sounds work except the wait to start light does not come on anymore. Gave it a shot of either and it sputtered pretty good but didnt want to start it. No smoke from either or when cranking. Check engine light came on imidiatley when it died and wont shut off but like I said the glow plug wait to start light will not come on. Any onfo would be great!

Its not the fuel heater. the fuse was not blown and the coil is in tact. I am getting juice threough the harness to the PCM so It could be a bad PCM. However the glowplug relay is not reading 12V on the exit side of the relay from the stud with the two wires. The passenger side injector harness has melted the engine wiring harness and cracked it on the pins closest to the firewall wich I think is the glowplug power pins... There was oil in the injector harness plugs as well but the drivers side is fine. Still wont read any codes after I replace the CPS.

This is a stuff one I need to do some thinking on this one???

Could be the IDM went out,sense it won't fire/crank.

okay well update... First thing I did was change the glow plug relay (top passenger side round relay) and the truck fired right up like nothing was wrong.... drove it to town for some dinner and to get a movie with the little lady. started fine. came home and parked it in the drive for like 4 hours. came back out and the CEL was on when I tryed to start it and the Wait to start light went out agiain and wont come back on... WTF? any ideas why this relay keeps frying or whatever its doing? Thanks.

Check the wiring harness the runs along side the steering column for torn or bare wires.

It the injector/ glow plug harness is melted and the pass rear, that's your issue. It's shorting out the IDM. You need to fix those wires and pins. Make sure you go back up the harness from the vc connector at least 6 inches. Ford sells the replacement pins and connectors for right at $30. Good kit. But yes, glow plug wires that are shorted to injector wires will make the IDM go into limp mode, or shut down all together.

my dads 01 stroke did the same thing and after several dollars and lots of head scratchin we found that one of the wiring harnesses that runs under the valve vovers to the injectors was shorted out. hope this helps.

Good point, you need to inspect the (UVC) under valve cover harness' too if the outter harness is burnt.

so should I replace the UVC harness even though they looked good and I replaced the UVC gasket. I have a harness Im going to splice new ends onto the old one...

No, if the UVC inspected good, no reason to replace it. Just make sure you look far enough up the main harness to recover all the burnt wire. I've found burns as far up as the front connector from the rear.

And make sure you put the foil wrapping back, if not, use regular foil. It's to keep the RF noise down so interference between injectors doesn't happen.

Well for starters I pussed out and Had it fixed... Wiring harness was the main problem and it was shorting stuff out. EBPV sensor and Circut is causing problems as well. Starter and batteries are needed. FML. Good bye turbo and stage twos.... for now...

Back