Truck died in the middle of the road

logan1

The truck is a 2001 2WD Dodge 2500 5.9L 24v with a NV5600.

I was driving home today and the truck sputtered and then died right in the middle of the street.

I check for engine codes with a scanner and got nothing. The problem seems to be that I am not getting any fuel to the lift pump. I have a Airdog 150GPH pump mounted on the rail right by the fuel tank. Its not getting any power. If i just it with 12v direct from battery the pump works.

The airdog is wired to the factory harness using a relay. I tried replacing the relay as well and still no power to the pump.

Also i tried to hot wire the pump so that i could drive the truck home and the truck starts but runs like crap and them dies out 10 or 15 sec later.

I also tried swapping the fuel system relay under the dash and still did not get power to the lift pump.

any ideas?

Last edited:
I really hoping it not my VP44. If it was my VP would the truck just suddenly die in the middle of the road?

Sounds like the fuel pump driver in the ECM went bad. Find another key on 12v source in the fuse box for like the power windows and run it to the side of the relay that is the key on. Or put it on a toggle switch.

so you hotwired it and had it running all the time and the truck still died? bad fuel? water? filter?

you must have a gauge if you have a pump..whats it read when its hotwired without the truck running

so you hotwired it and had it running all the time and the truck still died? bad fuel? water? filter?

you must have a gauge if you have a pump..whats it read when its hotwired without the truck running

Damn I read over that part.

Does it run with the lift pump hot wired?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

The truck starts perfectly with the lift pump hotwired to a toggle switch. It runs great for like 10 seconds then starts running rough with erratic idle and then dies.

Sounds like the fuel pump driver in the ECM went bad. Find another key on 12v source in the fuse box for like the power windows and run it to the side of the relay that is the key on. Or put it on a toggle switch.

I did re-wire the fuel pump to a toggle switch and The truck starts perfectly with the lift pump hotwired to a toggle switch. It runs great for like 10 seconds then starts running rough with erratic idle and then dies.

I got a new set of filters for the airbog and replaced the old ones yesterday after the truck died and it is still luck getting it to start on the off its own wiring harness.
I can only get power to the airdog by hotwiring it. Also i have 1/2 a tank of fuel left so I dont think i ran outta fuel but that is what the truck acted line when it died.

Ill be working on it again this afternoon and will keep you guys updated. Please post ideas of what i should be looking for.

I’d keep it on the toggle switch for sure. That’s how I ran mine when I still had my VP truck.

I kinda wonder if you might have some air in the system somewhere?

Are you sure there's fuel in the tank? I've seen more than a few 2nd gens with bad sending units that stick at say a quarter or half tank and then you run out of fuel. Might consider adding 5 gallons and trying it again, or verifying your fuel level by other means. I would also say you should use a pressure gauge and see if pressure is dropping off when it starts running poorly. I've also seen several airdogs fail and do similar things to what you are explaining. The motor on the pump starts to fail, runs for a while until it gets hot, then stops or blows a fuse.

I know it sounds strange but I just had a similar issue with my 2wd truck. the pump would prime everytime,and run for 30 sec if i bumped the starter. it would also run constantly when i hot wired the pump AS LONG AS THE TRUCK WAS NOT RUNNING. BUT everytime i would start the truck the fuel pump would immediately die and id lose pressure. i ended up running new power wires to the pump and the issue went away immediately.

UPDATE: The truck threw a P0341 code today.

I had the truck towed to my house. So now i can work on it and have access to all my tools. I looked at the wiring harness by the AC compressor and 1 of the wires looks frayed.

I do not have a fuel pressure gauge but will get one asap.

I opened top and there is atleast 1/2 a tank of fuel in there as the gauge had suggested.
But the fuel in the tank looks does not look as clear as it should. It almost has a light yellow milky look.

you didn't accidently put gas in it did ya..my buddy just did that and we had to pump the tank out on the side of the road..he made it a bout 40 mi before it quit tho..thought that was odd

without a guage ya cant do anything on these trucks

that's a cam sensor code anyways..so thatll be pita to change but will give those symptoms..is yer tach bouncing around

Last edited:
you didn't accidently put gas in it did ya..my buddy just did that and we had to pump the tank out on the side of the road..he made it a bout 40 mi before it quit tho..thought that was odd

without a guage ya cant do anything on these trucks

that's a cam sensor code anyways..so thatll be pita to change but will give those symptoms..is yer tach bouncing around

lol no I did not put gas in the truck. I do believe I got a bad bath of fuel and there is water suspended in the fuel.
I've been reading and apparently the P0341 code might be for cam gear coming lose and having to much end play or a short in the harness.

Last edited:
Back