Truck misses and has high egts

12v Ford

When my truck is idling and I rev it up real fast, it misses around 1900-2100 rpm. If I rev it up slower, it won't miss. It's real bad when cold and not to bad when warmed up. I this normal for it to miss when us rev it up by stomping the fuel pedal?
Also, when I boost it up real slow driving, anything over 25psi is 1200+ egts. When I romp on it and am shifting through the gears, it stays below 1200 until I get to 6th and stay in it. Any ideas, or is this normal for the twins I have? I dynoed 542 with the 0 plate.

Thanks,

Clayton

You guys beat me to it-timing. Don't see anything about it in your sig, your motor wants to:Throwup:

forrest could it also be a bad stick?

doubt it... a leaking injector in a 12v is kinda hard to detect especially if it's just dribbling

breaking up/stumbling/popping/white smoking at higher RPM with no load, worse in the cold, etc. = timing timing timing

I forgot to mention that my timing is set at 16 degrees. I checked it about 6 months ago when it first started doing it, and a month ago to see again, and it's still at 16. The problem hasn't been getting worse, but it's still there. Will a bad injector pump make it miss? I've checked my valve springs for breakage and found nothing. Also the #1 DV has wear on the bottom in one corner, so I checked #2 and it had the same thing.
Sometimes when I'm driving the truck feels really strong and then sometimes it is noticably wimpy. I've checked the fuel shutoff solenoid and it is working fine. Once or twice when I was just crusing along, it felt like I had about 1/2 power for a few seconds, and then it would come back on. The A/C was off, but it has that feeling like you turned a super power sucking A/C on for a second and then turned it off.:bang

Last edited:
my truck is at 16* timing, and it will do the same thing in low gears or free reving... just saying, you might want more timing depending on your injectors and other variables.

but, it sounds like you might be having other pump issues :eek:

IP or lift pump...you have a fuel pressure guage? And at 20* the truck will be happier IMO.

When my truck is idling and I rev it up real fast, it misses around 1900-2100 rpm. If I rev it up slower, it won't miss. It's real bad when cold and not to bad when warmed up. I this normal for it to miss when us rev it up by stomping the fuel pedal?
Also, when I boost it up real slow driving, anything over 25psi is 1200+ egts. When I romp on it and am shifting through the gears, it stays below 1200 until I get to 6th and stay in it. Any ideas, or is this normal for the twins I have? I dynoed 542 with the 0 plate.

Thanks,

Clayton

Sounds like timing to me...

wish i had ur tuning abilities tho, best i could do with 370s and similar turbos was 100 horses less.... i need a pro :(

Rick

Well, I've got another update. My lift pump is new and so is the ofv. Without the ofv shimmed, the pressure was 18psi at idle and would go to 28 driving, but would go below 10 psi at wot. With it shimmed, it idles at 35 and driving it stays around 38-40 and goes down to 30 or so wot.

Something I noticed today while driving-

The truck was feeling wimpy and I was at the stop light and it was smoking white-ish pretty good. It had never done that before. About ten miles later the truck was running pretty good again and I was where I needed to be and the truck wasn't smoking anymore. So I'm thinking it's either an injector, IP, or bad headgasket?

A bad gasket or pump would be acting up all the time wouldn't it? Coming and going sounds almost like an electrical issue . What would be the symptoms of a weak holding coil on a fuel cut off solenoid be ? I am just asking if this could possibly be the problem as it is the only electrical part on the engine. Rich

I had this same problem with my truck. Almost exact same issues. Changed my fuel filter, and the problem went away. Just my $.02

I have the same problem but I'm pretty sure mine is either the heater grid seleniods or low pop pressure on my 180 injectors. I'm going to order some DDP 4's before I cha.nge the seleniods though and see if that clears it up

Back