Truck shakes in 3 and 4th gear when hauling heavy

Cummins12v

When I'm going through gears pulling my trailer the truck shakes in 3rdand 4thgear once I get into higher rpm it goes away what could it be 5peed

Are you sure it's not speed related? And you just happen to be in 3rd and 4th gear? Try to run 2nd out a little longer, or lug it down in 5th.

its not speed related for sure if i can hold my foot super steady i can almost keep it smooth but id rather fix the prob and not have to worry... what about the rubber bushing around the carrier bearing could it be worn enough to cause play for it to shake ..... i have 6k springs so that doesn't help but if my truck is tight that shouldn't matter I'm starting to lean toward the rubber around carrier bearing anyone thing that could be and issue

its not a vibration its actual jerking back and forth its has a set of 6k gov springs but it was doing it before i swapped pump around

I'd say its axle wrap then. Mine did the same before I added traction bars. It was right at 2200 rpms in 5th gear and 1600 rpms in 6th.

I experienced this issue after the install of Pac Brake Governor Springs. This issue wouldn't happen all the time but what it acted like was governor bounce. I called Seth Farrell, before he started his business, and to purchase a couple of the shims used for idle. Installed one shim on each side and haven't experienced this again.

Now that I think about it, my auto does a surging/jerking if I lock it in 2 or 3rd and let the rpms get too high with no load. I figured it was something in gov springs.

I had a similar issue when I ran Smokem's comp DV's, it would surge to the point of the truck feeling like it was bouncing down the road. Cruise control would eliminate it. Only really happened on the highway and I'd hit a small bump in the road and my foot would move slightly on the throttle. I put a set of 181's back in and it went away. Lost a bit of power, but it certainly wasn't worth the headache of not being able o drive it comfortably. I ran those DV's for months without issues, but it was in the winter and I think the winter blend tamed it. As soon as the summer fuel came into circulation is when it started.

I faught for a while to narrow down my shake when loaded. Ended up being weak leaf springs and pinion angle. Found a junk yard springs and swapped them in and reset pinion angle. Problem solved. Need traction bars now.

Back