Truck stalls when I let off throttle???

cliff-1972

Well my cummins swap is up and running,thanks Mo-Smoke.I was driving around tonight to see how it drives.It does fine at cruising speed like 2000rpms @ 65mph.But when I have to let off the throttle to slow down for a stop light it wants to cut off.Also does it when slowing down to make a turn into a drive way.It is like a surge also.It does crank up fairly easy after it stalls.The P-pump is a 180hp benched,5K,22 degrees pinned and 042 DV's.Brad Ponci built the pump.The AD 165 was at 65psi,but I took it back down to 40psi.I haven't driven seen I reset fuel pressure.It is idling at 750-770 rpms in gear and 850 rpms in park.What may this be caused by?If you need more info let me know please.

I'm not the guru, but 22* of timing seems awfully high...

could be causing the fuel to inject early while the engine is still spinning too fast when you let off. Too much time between injection and ignition can cause the fuel to fall from suspension and not ignite.

I'm sure someone else will pipe in and tell me I'm wrong, but thats my .02

If the idle speed isnt the issue, back the governor springs off a couple clicks and reset the idle and see what that gets you.

I'm not the guru, but 22* of timing seems awfully high...

could be causing the fuel to inject early while the engine is still spinning too fast when you let off. Too much time between injection and ignition can cause the fuel to fall from suspension and not ignite.

I'm sure someone else will pipe in and tell me I'm wrong, but thats my .02

i swear diesels dont have an ignition system.... and 22 isnt that high i know several people running 26* on there dd

same thing use to happen to me i turned idle up to 900

Last edited:
i swear diesels dont have an ignition system.... and 22 isnt that high i know several people running 26* on there dd

if it didn't have an ignition system, the fuel wouldn't burn... its a diesel, ignition caused by the compression stroke, not a spark plug.

Compression Ignition? Ring a bell?

Have you asked Brad? I bet he would have an answer for you pretty quickly.

Just my guess but I agree with Cummins Driver that you might need to back off the gsk a click $.02

Back