Truck started spitting and spuddering. Need advice asap

chris lang

Truck started spitting and sputtering on my way to work. Idles fine. Codes p2269 water in fuel and p0148 fuel delivery.
Ran fine on my way to school and to the house then started on my way to work. Pulled codes, moved truck to Parkin spot and ran fine.
Fuel mods are exergy 60%, 10mm pump, fass 150

I had my rp gauge disconnected. I just hooked it back up but now it's not doing it.

do you have the fast fuel system with a fuel filters

Yes fass with fass fuel filters. I just grabbed a new fuel filter from work.

Since we don't know were you live, and there is cold front after cold front. It is possible you are experiencing some fuel clouding. New filters may fix it if the old ones were dirty. Otherwise might want to look into some fuel treatment.

If you live in warm region issue could be something else.

How cold is it? My duramax van would start fine at -10. but as soon as I would pull out on the street it would barely move. Fuel gelled. Fresh tank of fuel and a bottle of fuel treatment got it going.

I'm in northwest ohio. It's cold for sure. I've been using ps white bottle every fill up. ...the filter I just bought is the wrong one

It wasn't doing it before when it was colder though. Every once in a while after driving for a couple hours straight it would cut out for a split second, not long enough for me to even take a yander at the guages. I disconnected my rp gauge to see if that was causing an interruption in the signal...havnt had a hiccup till now.

Last edited:
Sounds like water in the fuel or gelled up . As cold as its been around here you can almost expect it. You must have gotten too used to that Cali weather. Lol

I appreciate everyone's input and experiences.
I get up at 6 am for school, from school swing by the house to grab lunch for work, then straight to work till midnight. I don't have time, or money lol, to do a lot of diagnostics.

Last edited:
Sounds like water in the fuel or gelled up . As cold as its been around here you can almost expect it. You must have gotten too used to that Cali weather. Lol

The weather out there sure was nice along with what's left of the desert, mountains, and ocean. But the general population of people around here are nicer lol

Said it many times. PS doesn't do jack with ULDS. Howe, Stanadyne, Opt Lube.

If you WIF is connected and illuminated the first thing I would be looking for is water. That will freeze. I'd also consider where the fuel is purchased from as well.

As it turns out I have the old fass titanium that filters have been discontinued and need to put on a new nipple to use another filter...my day just keeps gettin better:nail:

Said it many times. PS doesn't do jack with ULDS. Howe, Stanadyne, Opt Lube.

If you WIF is connected and illuminated the first thing I would be looking for is water. That will freeze. I'd also consider where the fuel is purchased from as well.

I havnt had a problem with ps myself...but I may have now. I don't have the wif connected. The factory filter is removed and bypassed I should have stated tht earlier.

I'm praying its just gelling. I'm afraid I have another cp3 that ate itself and put chit through my injectors again.

Sounds like fuel gelling, if you get your fuel from the same place every time stop in and ask if they got a bad batch, or a non winter mix last time you were there. Power Service, when used properly, on winter fuel, will prevent gelling very well, but if you got a different batch that had more water in it, or less winter additive in it, you will have issues. As a rule of thumb, I use 1 ounce of PS white bottle for every 3 gallons of fuel I put in, and typically round up, if I put in 7 gallons I use 3 ounces, 12 gallons is 4 ounces, etc.

I havnt had a problem with ps myself...but I may have now. I don't have the wif connected. The factory filter is removed and bypassed I should have stated tht earlier.

I'm praying its just gelling. I'm afraid I have another cp3 that ate itself and put chit through my injectors again.

I figured the WIF was disconnected. Little odd it came on at the same time. Should be able to cross reference to another Fleetguard, Donaldson, or even WIX (emergency only) filter. I'll see if I can find AH64ID's filter chart.

This might help.
Thanks Mike, and for the life of me cant remember the name of AH64ID. LOL
http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/3rd-gen-tech-articles/150422-3rd-gen-popular-fuel-filter-data.html

Last edited:
I used that chart, but my pump is an old one that only fass' ff2003 or whatever will work. I ordered the new adapter.

But it looks like everyone here was right about gelling. Pulled the truck into an empty bay at work then she drove home fine, then drove around the block for like 30 minutes.
I wonder how it didn't happen this morning when it was colder or on my way home from class. My best guess was it got clogged up in the lines and the pump couldn't suck but it still pushed what was in the filter and seperator.

Last edited:
Plugging always starts in the filter. After all it is the absolute restriction in the fuel system. I'm telling you straight from my own experience. In the past 2-3 years I've seem more diesel rigs on the side of the road than I ever have in my 40 years on this planet. Every single one either didn't treat their fuel, or treated with PS. The guys that treated with PS always gave me the same quote. "I've used PS for x number of years and never had an issue". Once I put two and two together I started telling them the PS didn't change however the injection systems did change, and so did the fuel. ULSD clouds at a higher temperature (Fact). CR injection systems utilize a finer filter media *(Fact). PS may suppress the gel point of ULSD to near LSD temperatures, but it does nothing for the higher ULSD cloud point, couple that with modern CR engines filtration of <=7 micron you get clogged filters.

If your filters inlet or outlet lines were gelling to the point of restricting flow you would be hard pressed to get anything above idle. Actually you wouldn't even get that. You would get a potential start and then nothing because if it blocked the line it sure as hell is not going to make it past the filter even if you were running 12 micron filtration.

Howes, Stanadyne, Opt Lube. Those are the three that I've personally experienced no issues with at -20 in Colorado and Wyoming.

Last edited:
Who carries howes, standyne, optilube in the northeast? There is power service on the shelves of every auto parts store or gas station.

Back