Truckers, lets see your rigs!

The dealer should build the harness to correct spec instead of "finding something".

Sent from my motorola one vision using Tapatalk

Well holy hell not even a year into my dads new Volvo ownership and all hell is breaking loose. DEF issues. Somehow the Bosch pump has a tendency to leak DEF fluid into the harness. The problem is once it touches the DEF harness it wicks its way into the main harness. No idea why this happened. One theory is overfilling, the other is cold weather. I've heard other makes have this issue too. Come on it's been 10 ****ing years with this DEF ****.

Initially they said 6-12 weeks. But now they've sourced a "generic harness". Labor/parts is still $10,000! Sure it's on warranty but unless they engineer a solution the truck is worthless off warranty.

Sounds like a Volvo problem...I haven't seen that problem in at least 5 years on our stuff. Same BOSCH Module on about everything, depending on dosing rates.

Chris

The dealer should build the harness to correct spec instead of "finding something".

You would think so.

Sounds like a Volvo problem...I haven't seen that problem in at least 5 years on our stuff. Same BOSCH Module on about everything, depending on dosing rates.

Chris

I think it has to do with our climate here in Winnipeg, MB. The Bosch module should not under any circumstance leak DEF into the harness. That is a pretty bad design flaw in itself, never mind what is causing the leak past the pump in the first place.

My guess is this will happen when the DEF is frozen and the temperature sensor (or whatever it is) reads incorrectly and the pump tries to pump frozen DEF. Even then there should be protection for the pump, and it certainly should not leak internally. There should be some sort of way that it will leak into the tank if anything. Or leak out. But the harness? Come on!

I have heard of other makes having this issue, it doesn't sound like a Volvo specific problem. DEF freezes solid around 12 F.

Well holy hell not even a year into my dads new Volvo ownership and all hell is breaking loose. DEF issues. Somehow the Bosch pump has a tendency to leak DEF fluid into the harness. The problem is once it touches the DEF harness it wicks its way into the main harness. No idea why this happened. One theory is overfilling, the other is cold weather. I've heard other makes have this issue too. Come on it's been 10 ****ing years with this DEF ****.

Initially they said 6-12 weeks. But now they've sourced a "generic harness". Labor/parts is still $10,000! Sure it's on warranty but unless they engineer a solution the truck is worthless off warranty.

And this is what I argue with friends about new trucks. One friend had to put S cam bushings in his 2005 379 and he said he was thinking of going new so he didn’t have to mess with these things. New trucks have a warm blanket called “warranty” that will make all your troubles go away. When asked if he thought the dealer here doubled the size of the parking lots because of all the oil changes they are doing on these new trouble free trucks he didn’t know what to say.

Sure you can drop off your new truck for warranty work and cross your fingers that everything that’s wrong is covered but as backed up as everyone is you better have a spare truck. And you better not have anything specialized because your not going to be able to rent one to use while yours is down for “6-12 weeks”.

Also amazing the issues these company’s have that’s not new technology. If they are forced to come up with some new system like SCR was in 2010 and you have some issues I can kind of get it. But like Cummins and they’re junk valves and cracking heads, Bosch and the junk fuel pumps on the detroits. By now Cummins should have valves figured out. I haven’t seen DEF wicking in a harness but oil is nothing new. Cat would wick from the rocker housing to the ecm and ruin them. Here is a Maxxforce DT ecm that had oil running out of it thanks to wicking.
477e61e1efdb3228370b4e81bf3060c2.jpg
302d59b5d70f125be1bac9c5087aa7aa.jpg

You would think so.

I think it has to do with our climate here in Winnipeg, MB. The Bosch module should not under any circumstance leak DEF into the harness. That is a pretty bad design flaw in itself, never mind what is causing the leak past the pump in the first place.

My guess is this will happen when the DEF is frozen and the temperature sensor (or whatever it is) reads incorrectly and the pump tries to pump frozen DEF. Even then there should be protection for the pump, and it certainly should not leak internally. There should be some sort of way that it will leak into the tank if anything. Or leak out. But the harness? Come on!

I have heard of other makes having this issue, it doesn't sound like a Volvo specific problem. DEF freezes solid around 12 F.

11*F, been running DEF since 2008, I've been through the ringer on it and have come out a believer...

DEF can't be pumped frozen, and the EPA gives an engine manufacturer 45 minutes to thaw the tank before making them derate.

Again, I have seen that issue years ago...Haven't seen it in years on our products, and haven't heard about it from the dealers North of the Border either.

Warranty is what it is, it is a way to protect the customers from manufacturers defects...it doesn't cover the time to diagnose the rail pressure problem on the tractor we worked on yesterday because the customer hasn't changed fuel filters in 1192 hours. FYI

Chris
Chris

That would actually be the next step. The DEF would wick into the main computer.

Another thing that bugs me, people calling 2010+ trucks "emissions" trucks and pre 2010 "non-emissions". Or 2008.

Emissions ****in started in 2003. Full stop. Even the non-egr ACERTs.

It really is something else that I did an inframe for $10,000 Canadian pesos on my Detroit and my dads warranty claim is the same amount. My truck doesn't even have that ****. I can't imagine what the turbo and turbocompound costs.

Warranty is what it is, it is a way to protect the customers from manufacturers defects...it doesn't cover the time to diagnose the rail pressure problem on the tractor we worked on yesterday because the customer hasn't changed fuel filters in 1192 hours. FYI

Chris
Chris

Yes defects, but is this a defect or is it a design flaw? If so many other trucks are having this issue, there is a re design needed with a recall.

The issue isn't DEF freezing, it's how the tank and pump handle the freezing. Did the computer try to run the pump while it was frozen? Did the seals blow as the DEF froze? Do they expect everyone up here to run their trucks 24/7 6 months of the year?

I also find it interesting that the urea and water makes ammonia, which is what actually reacts with the NOx. Go look up the freezing point of ammonia.

Yes defects, but is this a defect or is it a design flaw? If so many other trucks are having this issue, there is a re design needed with a recall.

The issue isn't DEF freezing, it's how the tank and pump handle the freezing. Did the computer try to run the pump while it was frozen? Did the seals blow as the DEF froze? Do they expect everyone up here to run their trucks 24/7 6 months of the year?

I also find it interesting that the urea and water makes ammonia, which is what actually reacts with the NOx. Go look up the freezing point of ammonia.

Ask Volvo, you'd don't like our answers

Better yet, tell your Dad to ask, it's his truck and money.
Chris

Seems like they know what symptoms to look for, but don't know what actually caused it and how to fix the core issue. Just keep swapping parts until codes go away.

It really is something else that I did an inframe for $10,000 Canadian pesos on my Detroit and my dads warranty claim is the same amount. My truck doesn't even have that ****. I can't imagine what the turbo and turbocompound costs.

The manufacturers dont want the problems gone. They just want it to get through warranty with as minimal cost to them as possible

Attachments

• 3832e1fa5c6a4e0e10a6b771d17aae0e.jpg
    3832e1fa5c6a4e0e10a6b771d17aae0e.jpg
    208.1 KB · Views: 0
oYGOnes.jpg

Top right by the orange mark is the pressure sensor. They fail at a high rate. When they fail the weep hole leads directly into the compartment shown. It does not leak to atmosphere. There is no weep hole in this compartment. You can see the traces of DEF everywhere. Now look at the bottom left. Thats where the plug is. So the compartment starts filling with DEF and its only outlet is the wiring harness. Its literally pressurizing the DEF into the harness.

But wait, theres more.

After the DEF enters the harness what is going to stop it? So now the DEF harness - or whatever it is called - is ruined but the DEF keeps going to the main harness contaminating and destroying it as well. At this point a simple sensor failure has caused $10,000 in damage!

But wait, theres more.

It didnt happen in this case but the DEF can even make its way into the ACM. My guess is if that happened it would be an additional $5,000.

Someone needs to redesign and recall this system. It has a cascade of engineering flaws that lead to cascading failures.

oYGOnes.jpg

Top right by the orange mark is the pressure sensor. They fail at a high rate. When they fail the weep hole leads directly into the compartment shown. It does not leak to atmosphere. There is no weep hole in this compartment. You can see the traces of DEF everywhere. Now look at the bottom left. Thats where the plug is. So the compartment starts filling with DEF and its only outlet is the wiring harness. Its literally pressurizing the DEF into the harness.

But wait, theres more.

After the DEF enters the harness what is going to stop it? So now the DEF harness - or whatever it is called - is ruined but the DEF keeps going to the main harness contaminating and destroying it as well. At this point a simple sensor failure has caused $10,000 in damage!

But wait, theres more.

It didnt happen in this case but the DEF can even make its way into the ACM. My guess is if that happened it would be an additional $5,000.

Someone needs to redesign and recall this system. It has a cascade of engineering flaws that lead to cascading failures.

Since the odds of the OEM fixing this is worse than Vegas slots can you attach a hose to the weep hole to maybe keep the def out of the case? Of course doing this on a “new” truck will void your warranty but it might keep it from being down for weeks.

Why don't you just redesign it at your own expense since you have it all figured out? You could make billions on truckers alone.

Chris

Could you even do that? Tampering with emissions equipment?

On a side note what do you guys recommend for kingpin kits? Are no ream kits a good option? I'm getting the axle eyes bushed.

Could you even do that? Tampering with emissions equipment?

On a side note what do you guys recommend for kingpin kits? Are no ream kits a good option? I'm getting the axle eyes bushed.

Put Kaiser in my truck. Expensive but seem to be working out. Does your axle need to be bushed? Did it run loose?

Back