Truckers, lets see your rigs!

3116/3126 and c-13 comes to mind when you mention junk cat engines.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

3116 is far from junk, just not very powerful. If you leave them alone and let them run, they run very good and last. Just under 250hp.

3126, absolute junk. Hated every one I've ever driven.

Chris

3116/3126 and c-13 comes to mind when you mention junk cat engines.

C13's seem to be reliable, seen several LEE's with 800K with original after treatment parts. Both them and the earlier KCB's can easily have 550hp to the ground and live for a million. The downfall is they are expensive to overhaul. Junk Cat engines IMO are the 3126\3208 but I put it in the same class as the DT466. In stock form they are a gutless POS that don't last very long. 3408 is in the same category, such a big engine that doesn't make much power.

Probably the biggest POS on the road today is the Maxxforce 13 which is based off the MAN engine. Even deleted they're a gutless unreliable pile and they're straight from Europe. Notice Leifi didn't reply?

None of the locals have ever had good luck keeping a 3116 or c-13 on the road without throwing parts at them constantly so I'm just going off my experience with them. I'm not sure I'd say the 3408 is junk, but it definitely could have been designed better.....it's not the powerhouse you'd think a huge V8 would be. I definitely agree about that maxxforce POS though.

In my experience the C13 is OK as long as it is not in a high cycle app. The vocational trucks around here that have them all get a window at some point. Just think if they all went to a single turbo the lawsuit wouldn't even exist! LOL (heavy sarcasm)

We have a couple c-13's. They d been decent engines, and the one doesn't run all that bad either. We don't prefer them but it's the only option we see fit in the 386.

Paccar MX13 deleted and tuned. I got a buddy with one in a 384. Consistently getting over 8mpg and pulls like a freight train.

C13's seem to be reliable, seen several LEE's with 800K with original after treatment parts. Both them and the earlier KCB's can easily have 550hp to the ground and live for a million. The downfall is they are expensive to overhaul. Junk Cat engines IMO are the 3126\3208 but I put it in the same class as the DT466. In stock form they are a gutless POS that don't last very long. 3408 is in the same category, such a big engine that doesn't make much power.

Probably the biggest POS on the road today is the Maxxforce 13 which is based off the MAN engine. Even deleted they're a gutless unreliable pile and they're straight from Europe. Notice Leifi didn't reply?
My experience is a little different, but may be due to fleet repairs rather than owner opp apps.
The 13 liter will lose oil pressure at about the 600k range in a vocational application.
The lifters in any of that lineage of engine are trash right around there, also.

Lifters, cams and updated lube parts and they are robust everywhere else.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

None of the locals have ever had good luck keeping a 3116 or c-13 on the road without throwing parts at them constantly so I'm just going off my experience with them. I'm not sure I'd say the 3408 is junk, but it definitely could have been designed better.....it's not the powerhouse you'd think a huge V8 would be. I definitely agree about that maxxforce POS though.

Cody can back me up but I don't think the industrial 3408 was ever more than 800hp. You could get a C12 up to 705hp. The 3408 is almost the same cu in as the C18 and they're 1150hp. That offset crank is scary.

Cody can back me up but I don't think the industrial 3408 was ever more than 800hp. You could get a C12 up to 705hp. The 3408 is almost the same cu in as the C18 and they're 1150hp. That offset crank is scary.
For big power I'd much rather have a C-18 anyway lol

I've never understood the obsession with the 3408's myself...

I've never understood the obsession with the 3408's myself...

Because at that time it was big cubes and after the 1693 about the only thing to come close to a K series.

In my opinion they never pushed any of the mechanical engines as hard as the electronic, 580hp for a marine B/C, 800 for the 3408, and 1375 or so for the 3412.

The fuel is there but they never built the engine to stand it, the nozzle in the 587hp 3406 generator engines flows around 40% less fuel then the nozzle used in the marine Vee engines.

I was more referring to now lol. I understood it to a point in its time. I think it's a cool engine and if you just enjoy running one then by all means have at it but when guys get to talking big hp now days and you have the v8 comments it just leaves me dumb founded to even bring them up.

No different then all the nut swingers that still think the 3406B/C is still the greatest engine ever built, right up there with the 6nz being the best engine cat built.

Anyone doing the 3408 thing is doing it to keep the truck true or out of pure nostalgia.

I don't understand why the C27 or 32 aren't in an on Highway truck somewhere

I don't understand why the C27 or 32 aren't in an on Highway truck somewhere

John will kick me for saying this, but with the rear gear train the only simple place to stick one of those is a cabover.

There are a handful of 3412s running around in some hood trucks.

I was more referring to now lol. I understood it to a point in its time. I think it's a cool engine and if you just enjoy running one then by all means have at it but when guys get to talking big hp now days and you have the v8 comments it just leaves me dumb founded to even bring them up.

I was told one time that I should consider putting a V903 in my Kenworth.... Because it was a "power house."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was told one time that I should consider putting a V903 in my Kenworth.... Because it was a "power house."

Another engine that there are some odd configurations on, but they did have some leave the factory at 800hp.

They're like the DT466. Guys see one on a pulling track and thing they're amazing. In stock form they're a POS and won't pull a sick ***** off a bar stool.

Back