Truckers, lets see your rigs!

C13, do the oil pump and filter base update ASAP, do cam and followers at 600k. If I was going to keep one I would do a bearing roll along with the lube system update.

Have you guys had trouble with head bolts yielding on C13's?

Sent from my Moto X using Tapatalk

Is this an aftermarket thing?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Why swap out the dt?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Why not?
Most DT 466 barely got enough hp to pull themselves out of a ditch much less drag 30k trailer around, can't count the times I've passed an empty international straight truck, with dt466 on the side with 4way blinking, climbing a hill..... empty..
Basically it will go nowhere fast, get **** MPG and last forever,
If I'm going to get **** MPG, I better have the HP worthy of ****ty MPG.

From everything I've gathered for a dt466 ~250/800 roughly max OEM rating, and its $$$$ to get more out of it. A lot more than to get a 8.3 to 400hp

Why not?

Most DT 466 barely got enough hp to pull themselves out of a ditch much less drag 30k trailer around, can't count the times I've passed an empty international straight truck, with dt466 on the side with 4way blinking, climbing a hill..... empty..

Basically it will go nowhere fast, get **** MPG and last forever,

If I'm going to get **** MPG, I better have the HP worthy of ****ty MPG.

From everything I've gathered for a dt466 ~250/800 roughly max OEM rating, and its $$$$ to get more out of it. A lot more than to get a 8.3 to 400hp

Lol finally someone that sees the DT for the POS they are. If they last 100k miles you got a good one which would be fine if they had more power than a Briggs or got 20mpg, which they don't.

I don't see the love for the juice brakes. Parts are expensive and hard to find. They're not any more reliable than pickup brakes, in fact the few medium duties we have around here with them are always needing calipers. Would never trust the parking brake to hold a load on any kind of hill. MAYBE if you had a gas engine but with an engine that has an air compressor option, air brakes are the only way to fly.

I'm still trying to figure out why in the hell someone swapped a 66e into an FL... heui fuel systems, the most fragile liner o-rings known to man etc...

Lol finally someone that sees the DT for the POS they are. If they last 100k miles you got a good one which would be fine if they had more power than a Briggs or got 20mpg, which they don't.

I don't see the love for the juice brakes. Parts are expensive and hard to find. They're not any more reliable than pickup brakes, in fact the few medium duties we have around here with them are always needing calipers. Would never trust the parking brake to hold a load on any kind of hill. MAYBE if you had a gas engine but with an engine that has an air compressor option, air brakes are the only way to fly.

Biggest selling point for me, extended cab, 9 SPD trans, and most likely a 25k truck with 8/17k axles.. it's got mechanical OBA.
It's possible to have a spring parking brake on the drive line as well

It's how close to "dream/ideal truck" I can get buying out right before modifing
Mechanically..
ISL9 size engine, completely de emissions, @400/1200- 450/1500 hp/tq with engine retarder
The LMM is ~400/800 at tires so.. ~450/900-950 crank ish extra 3-400tq would definitely run
9/13sp Eaton double OD
air suspension F/R with full manual dump and over inflate capability on both axles
air disc(meritor pan 19, 14.8" disc brakes),
245/70/19.5" H load
9k/17k axles, (lockable diff)
26k/54k gvwr/gcvwr
34-36" top frame height, ( preferred 32" but doubt I'll have enough up travel between bottom of frame and top of axle, it be less than 3" up travel with 10 5/8" common frame size, on rough measurements and 5" axle tube)
170" WB.
100-150 gallons onboard
10 5/8" frame
Body
42" flat top style sleeper, with a proportionately widened/lengthened/raised, pickup truck style cab, keeping the truck under 84" tall preferred less than 78"
Obviously full power windows/locks/seats/mirrors
Heat/cooled seats
Heated mirrors
Keyless entry with remote start
AC/heat with cabin filters
Full HUD display, plus DIC with mechanical gauges

Biggest selling point for me, extended cab, 9 SPD trans, and most likely a 25k truck with 8/17k axles.. it's got mechanical OBA.

It's possible to have a spring parking brake on the drive line as well

It's how close to "dream/ideal truck" I can get buying out right before modifing

Just out of curiosity what's the attraction to juice brakes?

Just out of curiosity what's the attraction to juice brakes?

I'd rather have air disc brakes..
Reality is, find a MD truck setup as close to what I'm looking for, then swap everything else on.. this one happens to have juice brakes

Attraction... Less things to go wrong(moving parts) vs air drum brakes,
If I bought it, juice brakes aren't the main reason, but shouldn't be a deal breaker if more if the setup meets what I'm after

Well if you have ever owned a MD with hydraulic brakes you would know that the less parts to go wrong will be canceled out by the fact you will be constantly replacing the parts the system does have. We have 2 trucks that we see often that have them and when the company got new trucks they did not go back to them. Calipers hang like it their jobs and no one ever has them in stock. When something goes bad it's 2-3 days before you get parts or you pay $$$$ for next day shipping.

I want air disk too so I've got a junkyard friend searching for a wreck with them so I can buy the cutoff and swap out my drums. Then I'm going to re-auction the cutoff. They're pretty rare.

Called the guy, 8k/15k axles, 23kgvw he hauled equipment, guy prior ran a wedge.
And he's willing to do 4500.00

Well if you have ever owned a MD with hydraulic brakes you would know that the less parts to go wrong will be canceled out by the fact you will be constantly replacing the parts the system does have. We have 2 trucks that we see often that have them and when the company got new trucks they did not go back to them. Calipers hang like it their jobs and no one ever has them in stock. When something goes bad it's 2-3 days before you get parts or you pay $$$$ for next day shipping.

I want air disk too so I've got a junkyard friend searching for a wreck with them so I can buy the cutoff and swap out my drums. Then I'm going to re-auction the cutoff. They're pretty rare.

Tone rings is always my first answer to MD juice ABS, they all rot off...

Next point, anyone ever deal with navistar "full power brakes"? dumbest setup in history!

Tone rings is always my first answer to MD juice ABS, they all rot off...

Next point, anyone ever deal with navistar "full power brakes"? dumbest setup in history!
Anything Navistar is the dumbest in history. They are the worst trucks on the road, powered by the worst engine available.

pistons

what do you cat guys think of this kit?
Caterpillar C15 ACERT Low Compression (16:1 CR) Conversion Inframe Kit

i even thought about this kit, maybe just snake oil though.
ultimate cat c15 diesel rebuild kit - YouTube

I've also heard some good about PAI's pistons being descent as well. Ive used some IPD kits in the past on some older iron, had pretty good luck. Gotta do some 16:1 acerts, the machine shop wasn't happy with the cat pistons before cutting them, saying weights were off quite drastically before machining. What are you guys using?
thanks in advance

Last edited:

I've also heard some good about PAI's pistons being descent as well. Ive used some IPD kits in the past on some older iron, had pretty good luck. Gotta do some 16:1 acerts, the machine shop wasn't happy with the cat pistons before cutting them, saying weights were off quite drastically before machining. What are you guys using?
thanks in advance

IPD's are 1# heavier each compared to the Cat Pistons. There are 2 style stock C15 Acert Pistons and both can be mixed in the same engine.

We've cut IPD's for other people and Cat but never tried any other brands.

thanks in advance

Curious to know what the price difference is with the kits, especially with the coatings on the Exoddus kits.

Anybody have first hand experience with coated parts in a working engine. Just curious to know it its worth the cost and effort. Will Caterpillar warranty parts that have been coated or take them in as a core?

IPD's are 1# heavier each compared to the Cat Pistons. There are 2 style stock C15 Acert Pistons and both can be mixed in the same engine.

We've cut IPD's for other people and Cat but never tried any other brands.

Does the additional weight of the piston have any negative effects on the bottom end?

Last edited:
Welp I got a project
14938249_10210018542433695_1337109932129746886_n.jpg

Back