Trucks cutting out.

srt cummins

The truck is a 2000 Detroit diesel 60 series. It run's fine until about 25mph then for about 2-3 seconds the truck looses power. Then runs good for a few more seconds and does this repeatedly. My brother replaced the fuel filters. What else can be causing this?

What are the codes? Could be a bunch of different things. What chassis is it in?

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
I was driving a '00 Pete with a Detroit that would do something similar and it was a faulty oil pressure sensor

Do you know how to pull the flash codes? Do that and see what codes are there. There is a flash code for no codes as well so you better see something.

Key on, engine off. Hold the diagnostic switch for 5 seconds. Let it go and wil start the flash sequence. The red SEL will flash active codes, then the yellow CEL will flash stored codes. Theyre all a 2 digit code.

It does sound like its derateing for some reason though.

Finally got ahold of my brother these are the codes. Yellow CEL.... 31. 16. 43. 85. 44. 46. 54. Red shut down light... 25

A couple of those are coolant sensor codes, might start there. There's also a low battery voltage code, so maybe check connections too.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2

Check and make sure the harness hasn't started rubbing the frame somewhere, they are know to have an issue with that.

Minor Detour: My 04.5 Cummins does this same thing right after the shift to 3rd gear. No codes. Any ideas?

The red SEL 25 is the code for no codes so that's good, there's none active. Hang on a sec. I have the flash list here some where. Ill tell you exactly what they are.

Wait, is it DDEC IV or V?

Check and make sure the harness hasn't started rubbing the frame somewhere, they are know to have an issue with that.

The harness that loops down then back up. Usually inside of the first 8-10" of the harness might have rub throughs. Open the loom and look at the wires.

Finally got ahold of my brother these are the codes. Yellow CEL.... 31. 16. 43. 85. 44. 46. 54. Red shut down light... 25

85- engine overspeed or overspeed signal
54- vehicle speed sensor fault
46- battery voltage low or sensor supply voltage low
44- is one of high- coolant temp/ intake manifold temp/ intercooler temp/ air inlet temp/ oil temp/ and..... high temp derate.*
43- coolant level low
31- is an auxiliary output fault
16- coolant level circuit failed high.

Without hooking up the actual DDDL program to know exactly which SID or PID code each flash code represents, or how many events, and when. The best guess scenario that something is going on with the coolant level or temp sensor. And the engine has derated on high temp, either coolant, oil, intake air. But 44 is a deadringer for high temp derate.

Last edited:
Ill tell him he needs to take it to a dealer so they can do the dddL thing. How much does something like this cost? Cause its not his truck and the owner don't want to pay for anything.

Back