True twin turbo on a cummins, not compounds.

mattpopp

Is this even worth the trouble and time. But the thought is to split the manifold into two. 1,3,5 / 2,4,6. Run two turbo's like 64/65/12 on each manifold.

If this is a dumb idea please explain. No good or help to me if you don't explain. If people are doing this then who as I would like to talk to them.

I don't always post to the forum but when I do, I prefer a Kindle Fire

Awe yes, I tried the search but unless you hit with a perfect match then it is useless, kind of like these replies.

But thank you for the kind douche baggery replies, the douche baggery information has been well noted.

Though I believe I found the answer and correct me if I am wrong. The two smaller turbo's can not create the high preassure without super heating the air.

Search rarely works for me, but I never ask questions because it's always the same response.

It works, but not well. Trying to drive the 64 with only 3 cylinders worth or exhaust gas is going to be slow to spool. Either compound twins, run a larger single, or add a 3rd charger.

Last edited:
wouldn't a balance pipe help ? two small turbo's with a pipe joining the exhaust flow, like an x pipe in the exhaust.

Two 64's would be like running a single 100+.

There's no advantage to running twins because there is only one cylinder bank and because we use compounds to create high pressure ratios to overcome the engine airflow inefficiencies.

The obvious is, if it works people would be running it and companies would be selling the kits.

Thank you for the replies as I kind of figured it was not a good idea but was just unclear why.

go to google

type in "site:competitiondiesel.com" and whatever you're looking for

the logical thing to think if you can't understand compressor efficiency and/or how to read a compressor map is: "these trucks have been around 89... people have really been hopping them up for over 10yrs... if parallel turbos were worth doing, surely somebody would have done it by now"

they have because they didn't understand how to read a compressor map either. and it didn't work for them... any of them... ever

Banks tried it a long time back....said the engine had mid-range surge issues, the same as you would with a big single. They later went to a blower/turbo setup so the turbos could be sized larger as to not surge, and the blower would take up the slack on the bottom end.

1102dp_21_o+1102dp_february_2011_top_tech_questions+banks_twin_turbo_setup.jpg

1009dp_05_o+1009dp_800hp_twin_turbo_duramax_crate_engine+banks_engine_with_eaton_supercharger.jpg

Banks tried it a long time back....said the engine had mid-range surge issues, the same as you would with a big single.

Did they try staging the turbine housing AR ratios?

I assumed he was talking about a B series

Do you think it would not work on a B series? People need to understand this would be along the same lines as a large single however, not to necessarily decrease lag, but certainly is used successfully in other forms of Diesel Motorsports.

Did they try staging the turbine housing AR ratios?

Do you think it would not work on a B series? People need to understand this would be along the same lines as a large single however, not to necessarily decrease lag, but certainly is used successfully in other forms of Diesel Motorsports.

It would be along the same lines as a large single with a less efficient compressor map at higher pressure ratios.

It has been used in other forms of Diesel Motorsports on engines that don't require 50+psi manifold pressure to make good power.

could it be done with Hamilton's head and a good cam? probably... would it be worth doing it vs. a nice single? probably not.

It has been used in other forms of Diesel Motorsports on engines that don't require 50+psi manifold pressure to make good power.

could it be done with Hamilton's head and a good cam? probably... would it be worth doing it vs. a nice single? probably not.

You realize how much hp a 2.6" HX60 makes @ ~ 50psi? And the topic of is it worth doing over a nice single, I'm going to have to disagree.

NHRDA World Records held by a parallel turbo setup;

Top Diesel - 7.67 E.T.
Pro Stock - 7.77 E.T.
Pro Stock - 180 MPH

Back