Trying to get my truck not to smoke when taking off, need help.

bsmith

Never enough
I have my pre boost screw all the way out and it still smokes off idle when taking off with too much throttle(which isn't much)

I have a 160 pump bench by goff diesel
I had weston cut my dv's
Mach 6's that weston worked on
Fletchers cam
62/71/13 over s475

What else can I do too help with spoolup and not dumping too much fuel too soon?

Thanks

Turn the afc tighter go about to the middle of the opening to adjust it and it should calm it way down

Turn the afc tighter go about to the middle of the opening to adjust it and it should calm it way down
When you say tighten afc, what actually am I tightening?

The nut in front of the diaphragm?

remove the plug that is on top of the afc and you will see a spring and just in front of the spring will be a starwheel, use a flat head screwdriver and push down on the wheel. that will tighten the afc spring help requiring more boost to move the afc foot

remove the plug that is on top of the afc and you will see a spring and just in front of the spring will be a starwheel, use a flat head screwdriver and push down on the wheel. that will tighten the afc spring help requiring more boost to move the afc foot
Ok thanks. Ill try that.

it should work good .... takes time to get perfect but it is easy to adjust... I have a p pumped cr with ddp 250s and it don't smoke unless called upon and makes a great dd

What is your AFC position? The starwheel affects the preload on the spring, basically changing X amount of boost before the AFC starts to move. If your issue is too much fuel with zero boost, then I'd think your AFC housing/foot is too far forward. Slide the housing to the rear, or mod the AFC so you have more rearward travel on the foot.

I'm down at the shop till about 6pm pacific. I can give you a few tips and probably get you headed the right direction.

530-742-3248. leave a message if I don't pick up. I'm welding and I can't stop once i start a weld. I'll call right back.

RonA

I'm down at the shop till about 6pm pacific. I can give you a few tips and probably get you headed the right direction.

530-742-3248. leave a message if I don't pick up. I'm welding and I can't stop once i start a weld. I'll call right back.

RonA
Awesome ill call in a minute.

Thanks

Ok after chatting with ron, we think my dv's might be the culprit.

Plate all the way back, afc spring tighter, pre boost screw all the way out. Still smokes too much, anymore than 1/4 throttle= smoke.

So I guess I need to weigh if these dv's are worth the extra fuel for more smoke on the bottom.

I need to find some 131's and try them.

Thanks for all the replies and rons call.

You ran your AFC housing all the way to the rear also? I think i have a set of 181's you can try. I don't want to sell them, but you can at least try them and see if it helps.

Last edited:
You ran your AFC housing all the way to the rear also? I think i have a set of 181's you can try. I don't want to sell them, but you can at least try them and see if it helps.
Yep housing as far back as it would go. Tighten the starwheel as much as I thought it would go. Only thing I didn't do was put air to the afc to see when its opening. Will do that in the am.

I might take you up on the dvs, I'm gonna play with it some more first. Thanks for the offer.

Brian I have some 131's out on the workbench if you need to borrow them give me a call tomorrow and I will get them sent out.

Back