Trying to get Ohio Title

joefarmer

MR. Supreme Overlord
The previous previous owner of my '49 misplaced the Ohio title. I've tried to contact them via USPS with no response. So now I have a fully built truck with no way to register it. Anyone know how to get a replacement title in Ohio without the original owner?

I know in MD the MVA can do a title search as long as you have the VIN. may be a place to start.

Just drive it. It's Ohio, I don't think they care. :)

Ohio is a pita I am pretty shure the original owner has to apply for a lost title replacement.

I just thought of this you may be able to get it titled as a custom truck. But it needs to be inspected. By ohp.

Mechanics title is what I plan to do on my 67 since I bought it without a title.

I was trying to figure out how to get a mechanic's lien on the title. Ohio has made it almost impossible to do it legally. I'd rather have it titled a 1949 than a 1994 (the engine year is what they use for a custom kit car).

I bought a ranger with no title for parts, all that was wrong was a bad fuel injector so I wanted to drive it. I looked into getting a title and it looked like it was going to be a nightmare. I just drove it for 2 years, using the plates off another ranger that I wrecked.

http://bmv.ohio.gov/faq_vehicle_titling.stm#tog

About halfway down the page is a question similar to yours:

"I purchased a vehicle in-state or out-of-state and the seller did not provide me with a title. I have a bill of sale. What do I do?

Contact the Titling Support & Dealer Licensing Section at 614-752-7671."

Hope this helps

Title service
Went through the same thing with a model a it is now plated in Maine and I am a part time resident of Maine apparently but I have my title and plates when it's time I'll transfer it to my state

The title man outa New York and the staub agency filed the registration at dmv in Maine Jefferson Maine iirc
This was a 30 model a Pu with no title and Wisconsin would not title it

I can get bonded titles here in NE and it's pretty straightforward.
Last one took me a week and $270. The bond notation drops off in 5 years.

It's all in how you work the paperwork and if it's actually on the books here.
For me, an out of state vehicle is much, much easier and quicker to get done and can be made to clear faster, especially if you can get the notification letter back from the last "owner" in a speedy manner.

If the notification letter you send out is refused, this fast tracks the application process, then you don't have to wait the "mandatory" 30 days for a reply.

Mark.

Last edited:
the last titled owner is the estate of the guy that died. i sent a letter to person listed on the estate with no reply.

Back