TST & Pressure Box - Which First to MAP??

ramctd

AKA RamWheelsBy4
Ok, trying to figure out some fueling and boost issues on mine I have just went brain dead. I have ran a TST/Pressure Box/Downloader triple stack on my truck for around 3 years now. First early Smarty software and not TNT/R. Before that I ran the Edge HOT Attitude/Pressure Box/Downloader (BDTD w/CL) stack. Great results and 55psi out of my SPS66 (That is what the wastegate was set at).

I always had the TST or Edge Attitude plugged into the MAP sensor before the pressure box. This seemed to work best and was no problem boosting to the wastegate on the turbo.

Now I wonder if I should have the MP8 plugged into the MAP sensor before the TST. What order do you guys that run the same or similar stack plug the boxes into the MAP sensor??

The Smarty TNT software seems to have alterted how my boxes affect boost fooling. I also blew the SPS66 and went to a Silver Bullet 66. Having other RP issues along with low boost. Trying to eliminate one thing at a time and need to decide on order of connections to the MAP for TST/MP8.

Which first

Ok, trying to figure out some fueling and boost issues on mine I have just went brain dead. I have ran a TST/Pressure Box/Downloader triple stack on my truck for around 3 years now. First early Smarty software and not TNT/R. Before that I ran the Edge HOT Attitude/Pressure Box/Downloader (BDTD w/CL) stack. Great results and 55psi out of my SPS66 (That is what the wastegate was set at).

I always had the TST or Edge Attitude plugged into the MAP sensor before the pressure box. This seemed to work best and was no problem boosting to the wastegate on the turbo.

Now I wonder if I should have the MP8 plugged into the MAP sensor before the TST. What order do you guys that run the same or similar stack plug the boxes into the MAP sensor??

The Smarty TNT software seems to have alterted how my boxes affect boost fooling. I also blew the SPS66 and went to a Silver Bullet 66. Having other RP issues along with low boost. Trying to eliminate one thing at a time and need to decide on order of connections to the MAP for TST/MP8.

Is this John??

I have always pluged the Pressure box in first and then the TST. It seems to make the truck more responsive.

Is this John??

I have always pluged the Pressure box in first and then the TST. It seems to make the truck more responsive.

Hi Pat,

Yes its me. Finally ran into issues I can't seem to solve yet. I guess 5 years and 105,000 miles without any major problems pretty good though.

I will switch the MP8 and TST connections at the MAP and see what it changes if anything. I don't seem to get full boost fooling without the TST on at least 2/0. But that is with it plugged in first. Just need to find the time to do all the testing again.

Good deal!

Hi Pat,

Yes its me. Finally ran into issues I can't seem to solve yet. I guess 5 years and 105,000 miles without any major problems pretty good though.

I will switch the MP8 and TST connections at the MAP and see what it changes if anything. I don't seem to get full boost fooling without the TST on at least 2/0. But that is with it plugged in first. Just need to find the time to do all the testing again.

So are you running a downloader, i.e. Smarty? You can run all 3 of those (Smarty, TST, MP8) but you have to keep the TST turned low or you get too much duration overlap. Let us know how that change with the MP8 works for you.

I always ran the MP8 to the map first, I was told that it will help the TST fuel sooner, as it sends the TST a higher boost reading than there really is.

Well with the new Smarty TNT software I normally have the TST off. With the EZ I had before the MP8 I usually turn the TST to 2/0 at the track and seemed to spool the old SPS66 to the 55psi max with no issues and better that with it off completely.

I just switched to the MP8 a few weeks before the turbo blew so I don't have but one time at the track with it and the new turbo.

I will try the MP8 in first and see what happens. With the EZ it performed best with the TST plugged in first.

I'll let y'all know how it responds.

I always ran the MP8 to the map first, I was told that it will help the TST fuel sooner, as it sends the TST a higher boost reading than there really is.

Absolutely true. The MP-8 boost fools at low boost to show the ECM more boost than actual, and then boost fools at high boost to show the ECM less boost than actual. Works great when plugged in before the TST. If you plug the TST in first, the MP-8 will not get true full-boost readings, so top end will suffer in some cases.

If you have an Edge EZ, then plug the TST in first. The TST will never see full boost with the Edge's boost fooling.

I'm speaking from my experiences with the '03 and several boxes...

JCleary,

Thanks that explanation makes sense based on what I see and what I have tried for the last 4 years. I know that with the EZ the best stack was the TST plugged into the MAP first. I ran it and TST with 3 different programmers and many combinations. I finally switched to an MP8 and was not seeing the same boost fooling with MP8 as compared to the EZ or the TST as before.

Now if I can just figure out why I can't get enough fuel anymore I will be happy. Will be switching out the modded FCA tomorrow and go from there.

Question

JCleary,

Thanks that explanation makes sense based on what I see and what I have tried for the last 4 years. I know that with the EZ the best stack was the TST plugged into the MAP first. I ran it and TST with 3 different programmers and many combinations. I finally switched to an MP8 and was not seeing the same boost fooling with MP8 as compared to the EZ or the TST as before.

Now if I can just figure out why I can't get enough fuel anymore I will be happy. Will be switching out the modded FCA tomorrow and go from there.

What LP are you running?

What is your in-tank setup?

You want the TST to see the true boost. We've always ran the TST into the map sensor, the pressure box into the TST and then the Stock harness into the pressure box. Pressure boxes that boost fool can mess up the readings to the TST.

Back