tt 12v blown head gasket help please

zippywildfire

hey i just got a twin turbo 12v and it has a head gasket issue, between the #2 and #1 cylinders at the head and the block theres a small stream of water coming out. truck runs like theres no problem at all, rad is drained free. ut my question is, what should i do for a head gasket? truck makes around 600-650 hp. i want it reliable

My son just bought this truck. It is a p pump 5 speed. Owner said truck dynoed 700hp when my son looked at it. Owner held up purchase of truck for two weeks, I thought this was odd. We pick the truck up and now it dynos at 600 or 650 hp. funny how the story changes. My kid drives truck for 2 days and now water looks to be coming out head gasket area. Truck has stock intercooler and and stock intake. Previous owner said they made over a 100 pound of boost. Where do we start? Can aftermarket head studs be identified? Anything to look at before we start tear down?

Studs will have nuts torqued on top rather than being a bolt. You will know about fire rings or O-ring's as soon as you get the head off. I have had good luck with a stock gasket, 12mm studs, and O-ring's.

Head studs will be just that a stud with a nut and washer instead of a standard bolt. If the truck was making 100psi with no firerings or orings there is no doubt the head gasket would fail. 700hp is possible with stock intercooler and intake horn ive done it and so have alot of others so I would judge anything based on just that. What turbos are on the truck?

Post up some pics of the engine area and im sure more people will be able to chim in.

the front turbo is a hx40, and bottom is a ht60, or 66, the truck has head studs, ill up load a pic

I'm curious how much boost the head gasket would even hold with stock bolts and just o-ring.

100psi is a crap tone of boost for those two turbos!!!!!!! I would highly recomend staying below 60psi for that setup anymore then that and you will be overdriving them imo and possibly run into catastrophic turbo failure that can ruin turbos and possibly the motor.

I'm curious how much boost the head gasket would even hold with stock bolts and just o-ring.

Jeff garmon, keating, etc all seem to have great luck with this and hold a good bit of boost 80psi or so I have been told. My truck is fireringed and studded with 14mm h11s and I hate running it 80+ psi.

Back