Tube Chassis Build

RyanB

Hey Guys...after keeping this under wraps for over a year (started the design work November 08) my brother Marc and I have decieded to come together to build the first "all out" Tube Chassis, Super Mod for up here in Ontario...with a twist! We are going a little different than the other Mod trucks in that currently we don't have a diesel class that allows tube chassis, tilt bodies and cut tires so we are building the truck to fit into the SuperMod 4x4 Gasser class (Blower trucks and natural motors). We have decieded to do what others said couldn't be done...run at 6200lbs, Short wheel base and a unlimited single charger...Hopefully we can prove them wrong and show that a diesel can fit into a set of rules made by the gassers.

Anyway, like I said we have kept this under wraps for quite some time (we where actually building the other truck of my brothers when those plans got changed when we finally figured out this could be done and could work!) We just finished up most of the rolling chassis this weekend and the body is now ready to get mocked up so we figured it would be time to officially let the cat out of the bag!

Here are some details on the truck before you see the pics
2009 Quad-Cab/Short Box
Full Tube Chassis
F106 Sheet Metal Rear end (at 6200lbs anything heavier was overkill)
Custom Dana80 Front axle (F106 was overkill, needed a center pumpkin diff and figured a custom D80 was the way to go...37spline right out to the driver plates.
Pro-Fab Ultimate Drop Box
Pro-Fab reverser
Lakewood Blow Prof Bellhousing
Haisley 4-Disk Clutch
34x18x15 Cepek Cut Tires and Real Racing rims
Custom Midplates built by ourselves
and the engine is still a tight secret currently but it will have a single charger and no details on the rest untill we make our first run to see if this is going to work.

And I think those are the main details for now...any questions just ask away! We only have a few pics to share at this time but will post more in the up comming months of our progress with the hopes of having it done by mid June.

Thanks in advance... Ryan & Marc Bambach

IMG_1891.jpg

IMG_1897.jpg

IMG_1916.jpg

BamBamIndustries008.jpg

ha ha....Yeah, there pretty sweet. We needed something that we could mock up to get the frame clearances and also front Cut tires will have to be swapped for these "sweet" tires and rims for going in and out of the trailer as we have to have room to clear the wheel wells on it.

Ryan

thats gonna be pretty badass. hopefully in the near future ill have a shop built and be able to build some stuff like this. looks good so far man. congrats.

can you even say if it's cummins powered or something else? or even if the engine is from a 1-ton or less application?

Who built the frame?

So all your recent D80 questions, were they for that front axle? :D

nicely done!

can you even say if it's cummins powered or something else? or even if the engine is from a 1-ton or less application?

Who built the frame?

So all your recent D80 questions, were they for that front axle? :D

nicely done!

Yeah, its deffinatly cummins powered....and it will be diesel powered...we actually have looked into a 5.9 Alky motor and that is still someday a possibility if we want and would be kick a$$ as well.

My brother Marc and I built the frame...I started designing the chassis over a year ago (took almost a full year of playing with measurments before we even touched a piece of steel) and we built it from there all on our own.

Yeah...questions for for the front axle....never said it had anything to do with a rear....just a Dana80!

Can't wait till its finished and thanks for all the kind words so far. I can deffinatly tell you...its not easy to do all on your own but you will be rewarded with something you did you self and save some $$$ doing it too!

Ryan

Hey Ryan and Mark,
Looks GRRRRRRRReat! Very well done. Just one question, what gears are you hoping to run in the 80? I wasn't aware you can get 6:20's for them.

Can't wait to see that thing eat some gassers!

Thanks

Heath

Hey Ryan and Mark,
Looks GRRRRRRRReat! Very well done. Just one question, what gears are you hoping to run in the 80? I wasn't aware you can get 6:20's for them.

Can't wait to see that thing eat some gassers!

Thanks

Heath

Thanks Heath- Yeah, running the 80 up front brought a whole new out look at the gear situation. Like stated in my first post...we wanted to save weight and the custom F106 or the Military axles where just to heavy and the D60 was light how we wanted but had the offset pumkin. Left us with a custom axle but gears was an issue. Could have went with a D70 front and ran high gears but I thought the D80 was just cool (this axle was from a Ford originally with 10 bolt hubs and 37 spline shafts)

Anyway, because the lowest gear ratio for the 80 is 5:38's we have choose to run 5:13's in the front and 5:29's the the F106. We will get the front tires spinning 3.5% faster than the back which will be great! Also, because we are running the lighter weight we can afford a loss in gearing like you would see in 6:20's. Also, we can make up the difference if we need to in the Drop box as there are about 4 fixed ratio's to choose from.

Ryan

Where did you get the gears for the D80? I was under the impression you couldnt get reverse cut gears for a D80. Meaning if you used the gears that are made for the D80 it will be like running the rear in reverse and you loose tooth strength. Also with cepecks 3.5% is way to fast. street tires you may get away with it but i dont see it working with cepecks. Looks good though

Where did you get the gears for the D80? I was under the impression you couldnt get reverse cut gears for a D80.

Big misconception out there on reverse cut and standard cut gears...Fords are the only D60 in standard production running "Reverse cut gears" and that is in there High Pinion housings....all the other older Ford, Dodge and Chevy 60's are are running standard cut gears. You can not run standard cut gears in a High Pinion D60 or run the reverse cut gears in the standard housings.

[/QUOTE] Also with cepecks 3.5% is way to fast. street tires you may get away with it but i dont see it working with cepecks. Looks good though[/QUOTE]

Trust me, I thought about this quite a bit and after doing TONS of research, talking to some of those most reputable diesel shops and also talking to a bunch of gasser guys up here and state side running the 4x4 mods we came to the conclusion that it won't be a problem....again, people have to remember we are talking about 6200lbs and not 7200,7500 or 8000lbs...there is a huge difference.

RyanB

So the D80 is flipped around AND upside down so the gears still rotate correctly for being up front? That's do-able since you obviously have different hubs on there for being a steer axle now.

Speaking of, what knuckles did you graft onto the D80?

If I failed to mention it, nice job. I like how you are sharing with the WWW like Dale did/does his 2wd mod truck build. It's fun for everyone I think. Kudos!

C-ya

3.5% is a LOT, and I have talked to more experts than most on gearing, and considerin I used to run staggered gears n staggered tires on my old Super Stock as well as a friends truck, and have as much or more research on gearing under my belt, than most, i would venture to say you may be in for some serious hurt on your choice for gear spread.

Rule of thumb is not more than .5% on the street ( ie,factory 3:54. 3:55, 4:10,4:11), and on a loose track maybe 1.5%

On a hard clay track you will be in serious bind, especially wiht low front tire pressure, so one of two things will happen, either it will break something, or you will break one or both ends of the truck loose, as well as be usin up a lot of horsepower you might need.

I might be wrong, and have been before, but in this instance I dont think so - you have a huge tire to turn, and a hell of a lot of weight up front

Last edited:
So the D80 is flipped around AND upside down so the gears still rotate correctly for being up front? That's do-able since you obviously have different hubs on there for being a steer axle now.

Looking at the picture, it does not look upside down to me?

Big misconception out there on reverse cut and standard cut gears...Fords are the only D60 in standard production running "Reverse cut gears" and that is in there High Pinion housings....all the other older Ford, Dodge and Chevy 60's are are running standard cut gears. You can not run standard cut gears in a High Pinion D60 or run the reverse cut gears in the standard housings.

Trust me, I thought about this quite a bit and after doing TONS of research, talking to some of those most reputable diesel shops and also talking to a bunch of gasser guys up here and state side running the 4x4 mods we came to the conclusion that it won't be a problem....again, people have to remember we are talking about 6200lbs and not 7200,7500 or 8000lbs...there is a huge difference.

RyanB
If you didnt flip the rear after turning it around you will be running on the reverse side of the gear. The reason that there is only one set of gears for say a 60 i believe is the carrier is oppisite from a front end to a rear D60. Your D80 is not flipped just turned around from it original position as a rear. Pull the cover and roll the truck forward and you will see its going to contact the wrong side of the gear.

Sorry, I dont trust any one till i see it done and work. 1-1.5% in most alky trucks is as far you want to go. If you over drive the front to much the truck will leave the ground or the front is going to chatter like a ford, or destroy itself Ive seen it done to many times

Last edited:
Hey Buddy, You built something you can't even roll out the doors!!!!! Lets go fishing instead. Hahahahahaha Jokes!

Back