tuned my first daily driver truck

outlaw99

well tuned my first daily driver truck yeasterday went pretty smooth except some vin issues... I was wondering what kinda rail pressure you guys are seing out of a stock truck.. this is a 06 completely stock with a nv5600. Looks like im right around 22-23k. The stock clutch doesnt like life if you start rowing them hard...lol I was looking at the logs and at looks like it is still fueling at 2800 and farther I took truck to 3500.. its stock..lol the mm3s only dropped from 140 to about 120 at 3500.. is this what you guys are seing.. any help would be appreciated.. it the cleanest most power ive had on a stock truck!!

I have no pilot after 2000 on this truck.. I was thinking of removing post but wasnt sure if it was really worth it or not on a daily driven truck?

Drivability without smoke is exceptional! Post injection was the first thing out the window.

I have no pilot after 2000 on this truck.. I was thinking of removing post but wasnt sure if it was really worth it or not on a daily driven truck?

From what I have read and thought about, I would leave some pilot in the truck (like you did - maybe remove it a little sooner) and completely remove post for a DD/street truck. I don't know what mods may be planned for it, so it is hard for me to speculate. Hopefully some other guys with more experience can chime in.

Post injection was the first thing out the window.

Definitely makes a world of difference!

Last edited:
well tuned my first daily driver truck yeasterday went pretty smooth except some vin issues... I was wondering what kinda rail pressure you guys are seing out of a stock truck.. this is a 06 completely stock with a nv5600. Looks like im right around 22-23k. The stock clutch doesnt like life if you start rowing them hard...lol I was looking at the logs and at looks like it is still fueling at 2800 and farther I took truck to 3500.. its stock..lol the mm3s only dropped from 140 to about 120 at 3500.. is this what you guys are seing.. any help would be appreciated.. it the cleanest most power ive had on a stock truck!!

Are you running this release? Pre-Release Update July 29, 2011

It has the newest tables unlocked, Equivalence Ratio E2536. There is a little feedback on the efi forum, but I haven't looked into it yet.

When u got rid of post was it a HP diff? Or mpg? And did u have to tune around it or simply eliminate it and tune is better

So you all are removing post completely? Ive taken it away after 2k rpm, but left it below. My thinking was that the post may help spool? What are you all seeing without it?

I just took it completely away.. I have a stock charger on this truck I didnt see any spoolup issue without it or any help with it. Ill look at the post injection map see where it occurs vs spoolup.

kudos to you sir, im learning so much myself.

glad your getting it where you want it!
keep us posted!

The 7-29-11 update does make a difference, I'm not yet sure how much.

Post is completely gone. With a 63/73/.83 S300 based charger on an otherwise stock motor there is no turbo lag.

Last edited:
I took the guy for a ride first thing he noticed was wow this thing is has tq.. it feels as good if not better up top than sw5 but low and mid its great.. I'm happy with it.

is anyone making the power additions that you get with say sw8 or sw9? ive read a lot about the amazing changes down low, quieter running motors and the spool responsiveness but i really haven't seen anything as far as dyno #'s matching or beating the smarty's HP #'s....

then again i could have missed it.

thx for the updates guys, im loving what im reading here!

The 7-29-11 update does make a difference, I'm not yet sure how much.

Post is completely gone. With a 63/73/.83 S300 based charger on an otherwise stock motor there is no turbo lag.

i sure would live to see a vid of the motor wrapping up under a load to see this lack of lag!
:rockwoot:

I'll be doing dump testing in a week I hope.. ill try a smarty tntr vs my Efi tune see what happens

I have a DD truck tuned it runs really strong, the thing i can't believe is how cool it runs even WOT.
It will outrun his box tuner and runs about 150-200* cooler

i sure would live to see a vid of the motor wrapping up under a load to see this lack of lag!
:rockwoot:

Headed to the dyno this coming Saturday morning and to a sled pull in the afternoon. I'll try to remember the camera.

played with it some more lastnight.. nothing like smoking the tires in 2nd and 3rd with 20x12s and 35's..lol I want a manual 06-07 truck to play with!!

still having some surging issues around 2500?? I think it might be in my main duration tabel? Im not sure. I have pilot off at 2000 I notice when it kicks off but this is like a bucking.. if I go with stock pilot map its fine!

I've got my wife's Mega cab tuned. And my completely stock is next. First thing we do Is turn off the post injection. Are any of yas seeing MPG change with it off? Sorry. Need to update my sig.

played with it some more lastnight.. nothing like smoking the tires in 2nd and 3rd with 20x12s and 35's..lol I want a manual 06-07 truck to play with!!

still having some surging issues around 2500?? I think it might be in my main duration tabel? Im not sure. I have pilot off at 2000 I notice when it kicks off but this is like a bucking.. if I go with stock pilot map its fine!
Normally that's fuel pressure related- too high. But what do I know. :)

Back