Tuner/box 101 newb?

ALLMTR5.0

Disturb The Peace
I just picked up my first Cummins, a 2002 RCLB 4x4 5speed. It has a bullydog box mounted under the hood with a 3 position switch in the cab. The truck has a fresh stock vp44, 100hp injectors, good clutch, airdog 150, gauges, stock turbo. 3.55 gears.
I will mainly use the truck to tow my Jeep(10k or so with the trailer and stuff) and commute to work occasionally. What turned/box ect should I look into to stay in front of my buddies fords? I prefer the least smoke as possible.
Thanks,
Former powerstroke owner (7.3 & 6.0)

There are thousands of threads on this everywhere but to answer your question I loved my quad adrenaline. It seems to be a love it or hate it box. I liked my edge comp and that seems to be a widely loved box. For the money and dependability get yourself an edge comp. VP trucks tend to be relatively smokey though (mine have always seemed to be at least)

I did the search thing, got overwhelmed with info. Most have way more mods then me. I also am looking for info on stacked ( more then one tuner/box) why, what are the results ect.
On my Ford I had a SCT plug in tuner which was pretty straight forward, seems like there are way more options for the Cummins.

I did the search thing, got overwhelmed with info. Most have way more mods then me. I also am looking for info on stacked ( more then one tuner/box) why, what are the results ect.
On my Ford I had a SCT plug in tuner which was pretty straight forward, seems like there are way more options for the Cummins.

On a relatively stock truck I wouldn't dik with stacking anything. With your injectors you do not need much fueling. The box you already have is probably a timing box primarily. If you want a little more out of it jsut go edge comp. They can be had in the $350 range or lower used. You can always run with it turned way down if you find it is too much for your taste. Nothing worse than buying another timing only box to find out you want more. Smarty is over priced for what it is on these trucks IMO

My favorite combo on my 02 was a edge comp box and a set of 40hp (275) injectors ran good, good fuel mileage and egts stayed in check.

if you really feel the need to add a box, tst pm3 or blue chip fms. not a fan of quad or edge.

Edge comp in my opinion here. I don't care for quads.
I feel the tst and blue chip is more than you are after. They are both great fueling boxes though.

If you're trying to keep up with buddies with tuned 6.0s I'd recommend luck that they break.

Back