Tuning a Full Competition Dmax

drmayf

A couple of weeks ago, I asked for help in getting started on building a Dmax for serious competition. I started from zero but I have now become a little bit smarter. What I'd like to know now is about tuning a Dmax for around 1200 hp. That's what the owner says is his goal for the motor. He apparently has all the hard parts to make that happen. But, he and I both know absolutely nothing about tuning the electronics to make it go. If he uses the Dmax engine management system, what are the tunning options? Please suggest any add on tuning devices and software. Also, if the Dmax EMS is not up to the job, what is? I'd like to be able to download demo stuff to my desktop to play with and see how it all works, so feel free to point me in those directions also.

While I am not a noob to efi tuning, I certainly am when it comes to diesel tuning. What are the critical things to worry about?

I did a little investigating and found that some turbo suppliers used a 20 - 22 AFR to size the turbo air flow. If stoic is around 15, why would they do that? Keep EGT down? Seems like a bit of a power waste in pumping air around to me. But does provide power growth capability, eh? Also, what is the generally accepted BSFC for figuring HP, air flow, etc. I see some in the range of 0.30 to 0.38 lbm/hp-hr. Those good numbers? What is typical?

Now where can I find those pesky diesel spark plugs.......

drmayf
worlds fastest sunbeam...period

Nick @ Duramax Tuner... Just talk to him, iv got his tuning library but he does custom tuning also, call him and tell him the specifics and I'm sure he can fix ya up

Tuning Suggestions

Guys,
Thanks for the suggestions on who and where to find info. If I hadn't mentioned it before, this is a special construction vehicle for the salt flats. So hopefully many of the daily driver tuning items will not come into play. Smoke is good, lol.

drmayf
worlds fastest sunbeam. period.

I did a little investigating and found that some turbo suppliers used a 20 - 22 AFR to size the turbo air flow. If stoic is around 15, why would they do that? Keep EGT down? Seems like a bit of a power waste in pumping air around to me. But does provide power growth capability, eh? Also, what is the generally accepted BSFC for figuring HP, air flow, etc. I see some in the range of 0.30 to 0.38 lbm/hp-hr. Those good numbers? What is typical?

Now where can I find those pesky diesel spark plugs.......

drmayf
worlds fastest sunbeam...period

Smoke. I think it was Johnboy that posted the tailpipe opacity started increasing around 18 AFR as AFR dropped. From what I can gather .38 lb/hp/hr is acceptable. With a dmax, I think lower is reasonable (.30), but can't prove it. The mechanical injection pulling trucks around this part seem to like in the neighborhood of .80 lb/hp/hr.

Back