Tuning Change

biggy238

I have a freind with a setup that runs too hot to suit him.
Without too much detail, would a timing bump from 19 to 23ish degrees couple with a DV (on 024's now) change pull his EGT down some without wrecking power output?

We need a bit more information, what size turbo is on the truck, what gears and what is the truck used for? If it's used for competition use then the higher timing will bring down the EGT some and increase the peak power a little, but if it's a DD then it'll take longer to spool.

I know there is a lot not being said, but then that shifts focus from the two components in question. I'm after the universal affect of changing those two things

From my Not-So-Smart phone

I think you can get them for about 350 $. They add 893hp.
Most of the work I do is for scheid. Thats what they use.

I thought you just did their injectors?!?!

Back to back to back to back?

Last time I'm starting a thread in this place. Ever!

Thread killing 101!

Anywho, how big of a reduction is necessary in egts to become suitable?

We need more info to answer your question, otherwise, we are shooting in the dark.

On the other hand, you can go ahead and do it, and report back your results.

I have a freind with a setup that runs too hot to suit him.
Without too much detail, would a timing bump from 19 to 23ish degrees couple with a DV (on 024's now) change pull his EGT down some without wrecking power output?

With this limited information I would say the following: the bump in timing will lower EGTs. As far as delivery valves I would not go to less delivery valve but there is more than enough reading material on here where folks have switched to a "cleaner crisper" delivery valve with good results in actual and estimated increases of power/fueling (a good amount posted by myself). Me personally I love 7mm diameter variants which are 1mm smaller in diameter than the factory counterpart. I will not try to guess what diameter those "024's" are as I have heard accounts of some being 7mm in diameter and most being 8mm in diameter. That said there are still modifications that go along with the decreased diameter to result in good fueling with the desired crisp/clean response at part throttle. Good luck.

Is too hot to suit him associated with wot, part throttle, or both?

Greater than 75% throttle. Trying to make the short power runs more sustainable. Weighing out tune changes VS turbo changes.

Greater than 75% throttle. Trying to make the short power runs more sustainable. Weighing out tune changes VS turbo changes.

Well less fuel (via less flowing delivery valve) and more timing will result in lower EGTs. It may result in less power too. As others have stated or atleast hinted at there are alot of ways to reduce EGTs. I have tried 8 different single turbos ranging in size from the stock hx35, hx35 with 21cm turbine housing, three different s300s, and three different s400s. The 400s were from 67.7mm to 74.xmm inducers with .90 a/r t4 to 1.10 a/r t4 housings 83mm to 87mm on the exducer. The s300s were from 61.xmm to 64mm and t3 and t4 housing'd 68mm to 71mm on the exducer. Timing from low 20s to 28 degrees. I have never found a way to keep EGT below 1600 at wot without taking a big hit in power. This all being on a stock head and cam. I am in the process of implementing the first set of compounds this truck has seen. Results may be different with them but I would suspect high EGTs just the same at wot albeit they might be slower to arrive.

He has a Hamilton cam and I'm unsure what the head has done.
5ks, 024s, 5x012s, cam (he can post specs because I don't remember) 64/71/?? For air. Zero plate and a tuned afc. What I think is a stock stall 5 disc tc.

I would like to see a gtx4294r on it with maybe a 40 series exhaust housing. The debate centered around a turbo or changing tune.

If the charger is a 64/71/14 I'd like to see just a tuning change. The egt problems are only at WOT, right?

On edit... How hot is it getting?

Back