Turbine Wheel Ex. Housing 101...

Sunpro oil pressure 0-100 psi, you need that size gauge if you run a small turbo and a lot of fuel!

agreed. I never saw evidence of soot on my DP gauge on my '98, but I guess it can happen.

there isn't any flow, so how does soot get to the gauge? :confused:

but there's no flow to the gauge

There is flow in the line during startup. You are pushing more air molecules into the same spot, so the air molecules have to come from somewhere. It is minimal, but over time it could get soot up there.

Also, if you have even a tiny leak on the connection at the gauge itself, there WILL be flow making its way up there.

........so long and short of it is a drive pressure gauge or atleast one of the components in the system is expendable.

........so long and short of it is a drive pressure gauge or atleast one of the components in the system is expendable.

Nick, I never really had any major problem w/ my setup :confused:

but you don't need it all the time... it's more of a tuning aid

Nick, I never really had any major problem w/ my setup :confused:

but you don't need it all the time... it's more of a tuning aid

So are you disconnecting the system or putting some kind of valve to open and close it off?

I didn't :eek:

but on the new truck, I'm just going to use an oil pressure gauge for tuning and remove it till I make a change. I'm going to just run the line in through the driver's window and hold it in my hand.

drive pressure is a tuning tool. though I will say that when I had a little boost leak, I realized it because my boost stayed the same (wastegate controlled obviously) but my DP was up! I started looking for a leak and found one :)

Yep tuning is the main reason I wanna make one up, I have a Fastenal 10 mins from my house, im gonna stop in and see what they might have!

We use a soot filter & 304SS tubing for a condensate coil and the nylon will still show black right up to the gauge... needs to be blown out periodically.

Mine has been on for months, no problems here either. Ran 6' of copper to 6' of nylon. And I'm running a normal Autometer boost gauge for my DP.

What exactaly does drive pressure tell you? What is good/bad? Explain please, another turbo dummie here.

Pressure between cylinder and turbine. Great tuning tool.
Brandon

So what is the ideal ratio to look for? When should you be checking at WOT or at all times?

Back