Turbo Input

soturi

i feel exactly as n00by as i am starting a thread about this (you know what i'm talking about: "haaaalp! i want a sweet truck, but i want you to spell out how i should get it there!"). however, i've read enough random posts on the matter that i think i'm developing a brain aneurism. :nail:

i'm hoping i can get a few guys with some experience and know-how to point me in the right direction. i have 100hp injectors that my stock turbo clearly (smokily) can't handle. i tow heavy periodically (DITY moves, w00t!), but usually ride around empty or only lightly loaded. So:

- what turbo sizes should i be looking at?
- what psi should i be looking for (i.e. will a 40psi-max charger be sufficient)?
- surely 100's are too small for twins?
- i'd like to clear up the smoke mechanically before i start fooling with a programmer or the likes. is this realistic?

the goal is to maximize the bigger sticks while retaining street-ability (and to quit smoking every intersection and hazing every highway). i'm trying to gather as much info as possible before actually buying a turbo, to make sure i get it right the first (ONLY) time.

thanks in advance to anyone who feels like contributing! :ft::thankyou2::ft:

Matt

Yeah a silver or SPS or II 62mm turbo would suit you well. I programmer ie smarty will help out to. And 100s are perfect for twins. What HP rating are you wanting to achieve. Figure that out then work backwards to figure out the fuel and air volume you'll need.

Smarty will help ajusting timing, tq management will cut smoke that I know

yes 100s will spool compounds lots of fellers use 90s from what I've noticed

a 62/71/13ss or 14 would be good all around charger for ya IMO
or stocker over s471, 474, or 475 would be ok too however I think topend would suffer

the real question we need to answer your question is what are you goals here wicked driver, tow beast, fuel milage, cross country bomber, stoplight to stoplight drag (however dangerous and illegal) then we can tell ya, mine was gunna stay stock...

Gibson - I suppose I don't really have an HP goal. The injectors were almost accidental, and now I'm just trying to build a maximal system around them.

So, to answer SuperiorRam's question - my dream machine is a cross-country rig that can make 25-30 mpg on the highway. is that possible? probably not.

so... i suppose my answer would be a "wicked driver" that can (eventually) make 25mpg+

also, even though seems i'm capable of running twins, but i'm not sure i'm ready to drop that much on a turbo system just yet.

so, 62mm seems to be the most appropriate size for a single? any objections/different thoughts? what about housing size? just to check my understanding - a larger housing around a 62 means slower spool but higher top-end psi, correct?

and also, when you switch over to twins, you can keep that as the top turbo, and just add on a larger bottom 'charger.

and a larger turbine wheel on a 62 will mean faster spool with lower drive pressure, becaus the 62mm wheel is lighter than a 64 or 66, so therefore easier to spin, and spool faster.

Psi isn't that much of a factor. It's mire if the pound per minute it can push. 60psi at 80lb/min is worse than 50psi at 100lb/min. Volume is key. A silver 62 or SPS 62 should benifit you well.

hmm... i have my eye on a used GT3782R. if i'm reading things correctly, it's compressor is 59.1 inducer and 82 exducer. it's been likened to a 62, and i've seen that a few guys have used it as a secondary for twins.

so is this really generally comprable to a 62? i've seen the turbine listed at 72.5, which makes it *smaller* than the compressor's overall size... do ball bearings really make it spin so much easier that this size inversion is ok?

it has a 40psi max, and i think i read it's capable of around 60lb/min. i'm not sure how good or bad that is, but both are smaller than Gibson's examples... were those examples of 62mm turbo numbers, or just random clarification?

thanks thanks thanks

All your dreams are realistic except for the 25+mpg... If you break 22mpg consider yourself luck or get a 12V

Just random numbers guy. I'll try to see what a 62mm silver or Sps will flow.

figured as much, Gib. thanks for the searching if you do manage to find numbers - and for giving me a decent spec to hone in on. starting to feel like i need to re-learn calculus to effectively compare turbos.

flagg - i'm at 18 now, wasting a stupid amount of fuel as black "obscurant". the hub conversion made a solid 1 - 1.5 mpg difference... i'd like to put 3.73's in the differentials and chop the rear-end into a short bed (worth at least 200 lbs, methinks)... really, breaking 20 would make me happy, but i figure why not aim a bit north of that?

Hey Matt ( Soturi )

Where've you been? Had heard from ya in a while!

You don't trust my opinion anymore?? LOL
j/k

Hows that rig running since that day we figured out you small issue at Garmons?

David

SWOLE!

I've been good - busier than anticipated, but the truck's been doing alright. I actually spent all day with her today, now the AC works and I have 3 new gauges installed. (still waiting to tap the EGT probe hole though, and get my ridiculous fuel mods finished to install the fuel pressure probe... so only the RP gauge actually does anything yet).

I called Jeff last week, too. I'll have most of August off, so I'm *FINALLY* going to get the truck in to him then. Of course, he has no reason to believe that after my "sometime in march" worked out so well, but... for serious this time, it's gonna happen. heh

so what's your secondary turbo, anyway? (don't you have twins?) you got $.02 to donate to the "wtf am i doing about a turbo" fund?

also - that boost fooler... i don't think it's necessary on my truck since wastegate isn't electronic (putting it on makes her think she's overheating, actually). i just need an adjustable boost elbow to manually set my max psi, and that's it... 4.5+ guys have to do the same *AND* add the boost fooler to make their truck-brains happy. er... at least, i think that's the deal. i may or may not have just put my foot firmly into my mouf again...

Kewl Buddy!!

Let me know when you make it to Jeff's next and I'll meet ya there!!

My top huffer is an Htt 62/71/13ss....

You still have my number? I'll send ya a text if you don't...

Take care!

The "tow heavy" got my attention

I say go with a 62/65/12 or 13ss. Later they will be sweet in a twins setup. You will be able to pull anything you want with that turbo and it will work great with those injectors.$.02

i had my 62/65/12 as a single with 80's and it would get hot running hard towed good but a little smokey, I put a s475 under it to cool things off and clear the smoke up

yea... i think i'm sold on a 62. definitely appreciate all the input from everybody. now i just have to find one at a decent price...

bigdan - i'd take "a little smokey" over what i'm putting out now any day. perhaps i can try it w/ a bigger housing until i (maybe) go w/ twins?

...anybody know if a housing replacement is manageable to someone w/ a bit of mechanical inclination?

hmm... i have my eye on a used GT3782R. if i'm reading things correctly, it's compressor is 59.1 inducer and 82 exducer. it's been likened to a 62, and i've seen that a few guys have used it as a secondary for twins.

so is this really generally comprable to a 62? i've seen the turbine listed at 72.5, which makes it *smaller* than the compressor's overall size... do ball bearings really make it spin so much easier that this size inversion is ok?

it has a 40psi max, and i think i read it's capable of around 60lb/min. i'm not sure how good or bad that is, but both are smaller than Gibson's examples... were those examples of 62mm turbo numbers, or just random clarification?

thanks thanks thanks
That's supposed to be a nice turbo. It's a stage 1 or 2 Garrett. I don't have the wheel dimensions handy but I have a part number list and can tell you which one it is if you need help. The 2 has a bigger comp wheel than the 1. Water cooled too. Don't know how to compare to those others but I'm thinking about getting a 2 when my truck gets out of warranty. The ball bearing is a good thing.

Ball bearing sounds nice - and water cooled definitely sounds nice. But after all my reading, i don't think either thing makes up for:

1) difficulty to repair
2) 40psi max = no room to grow (not, apparently, that that's even an option - see no. 1)

which left sps or htt. i read someone do a comparison and the htt won out (i should start saving these links) - the deciding factor being a better wastegate and... other things... that i've forgotten...

anyway, i think i'm pretty set on an htt 62.

of course, i never did find any lb/min flow rates for the htt or the sps. if you happen to have data that says either gets less than the garrett's 60 lb/min, i may reconsider.

62-65-12 will get you about 100 - 150 degrees cooler then the stocker in my experience. That was the first turbo I tried. I had to send it back to HTT because of shaft play and they said that it was not rebuildable because the housing was warped from heat. That being said I personally think it is a waste to put on a cr especially with 100 stix. 62-71-13 would be the smallest I would consider and that will tow good but still won't completley take care of your smoke I don't think. That was my third turbo. My next truck if a manual, I will either get a stocker/400 kit or start with a 64-71-14 and go from there. For a tow rig 100 hp injectors are just a lil big for most but mine is also a towrig daily at 24k gcw but for how long it will last is another question.

Brian. man - your experience is exactly the kind of input i've been looking for. not many folks match as many variables as me, so i definitely appreciate you weighing in.

how well does that 66 clean up your 100s? how bad is the lag? since you tow with it every day, it must be doing something right? would you keep the 66 if you weren't towing *daily*?

based on the billions of posts i've read over the last few days, i was actually developing a sneaking suspicion that 62 may actually be kinda small for me. my plan was to start w/ the 62/65 and then slowly add bigger parts to it over time.

seems like plans have changed, however.

blargh. suggestions for companies that make a stocker twin kit?

or... if i started w/ a 64... that could power a primary one day if i ever decided to...?

AAAGGHHH :nail::stab::nail:

Last edited:
Back