Turbo LSX or 12v?

BigJoeDiesel74

I stumbled upon this truck and it caught my eye at first glance. From what I could gather from the owner, it is a 1974 F350 with a 390 in it. Miles are unknown and was rebuilt 7 years ago, but it only has had 1000 miles put on it since. It was bought new and was a single owner truck. Motor runs fine, needs a universal joint and some door panels. it was painted 2 years ago. It has very very minimal to no rust on the body.
Now... I'm trying to decide if I want to put a built 12v in it or a turbo LSX. I'm open to opinions!!

Attachments

• f350 grill.jpg
    f350 grill.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 0
  • f350 int.jpg
    f350 int.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 0
  • f350.jpg
    f350.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 0
If I had to do one of the other cummins for sure, but I agree unless the 390 is shot throw some wheels on it and drive it.

A LS based turbo motor will make that truck scream and a whole lot cheaper than a diesel swap.

I really like the idea of boosted LSx engines but not in vehicles dawning a blue oval. Just seems wrong to me. So, if those are the only two options, 12Valve it is. :D

I'm with the others that thinking it might be just as cool with some rims & finished up bed.

I really like the idea of boosted LSx engines but not in vehicles dawning a blue oval. Just seems wrong to me.

I'm with the others that thinking it might be just as cool with some rims & finished up bed.

I agree, some finishing touches and hit the streets!

390s suck. If you want it to be quiet do the LS motor. If you like the diesel sound do the 12v. Those old Ford big blocks are boat anchors.

most gasser motors are boat anchors without a turbo.. throw a box stock 475 on the 390 and a blow through e85 carb and let it eat.. you will be surprised by the power you will have. That would be the cheapest power you could have..

Keep the 390 put a good cam maybe some cj heads if you can find a set and enjoy it.

But if it had to be a ls or 12v id go with a 12v. Thats a heavy truck your gonna need the torque.

Back