Turbo or injectors?

cerickson

fullpull108
I know it has been covered a thousand times. I'm pretty turbo illiterate. Now that I have the EFI on the 06, was wondering which is the best next step for the truck. I have about 8,000 miles on new Bosch injectors. Probably should of went a little bigger. Now back to the turbo issue. It's our tow pig. It don't pull heavy very often. Usually just our pontoon or our 28' enclosed trailer.

I don't know which turbo to even look at. Would like to stay with a single for simplicity. I figured would ask some of you knowledgeable fellows for some input.

I'd suggest a 64... possibly even a 63.

This is how dumb about turbos I am. Rick you say 63 or 64. Who makes a good 63 or 64? I looked at the fleece cheetah. Don't want to enter oraler status. I do like the sound of theirs though.

This is how dumb about turbos I am. Rick you say 63 or 64. Who makes a good 63 or 64? I looked at the fleece cheetah. Don't want to enter oraler status. I do like the sound of theirs though.

There are several good vendors here who could help you out with what you need.
I've never messed with a cheetah turbo, so as for effectiveness, I'm not sure how they are. I know they're pricey.

Bluegrass Diesel, Weston, Power Driven, just to name a couple. Many options

We use a 64mm non wastegated turbo as an Upgrade to the stocker. I order them from Engineered Diesel. Also a vendor on this site.
Chris, from Engineered is at the PRI show, so you may need to wait until next week.
I can tell you that it is an excellent turbo.

I've got a cheetah on my 2005. It does sound nice and it's a good upgrade but you can get a lot more for $2k in my opinion. Look into tater built turbos. You can get pretty much the sameness thing for a lot less.

I've got a cheetah on my 2005. It does sound nice and it's a good upgrade but you can get a lot more for $2k in my opinion. Look into tater built turbos. You can get pretty much the sameness thing for a lot less.

Believe Zach will build them too

I'm not just looking for the sound. I do like the sound. I'm looking for a well rounded turbo for a d/d slash tow pig.

I struggle to rationalize buying a modified HE351 with a 7mm shaft vs buying an S300 frame with an 8mm shaft, and for less money on top of it.

Depends on the needs. We sell drop in modified stockers for far less than you can get into a "drop in" S300 unit. Personally, we have had more shaft failures on box S300s than we have on any of the small frame holsets. Having said that, I do agree with smokem on the box unit price vs some of the modified stocker units on the market.

To be clear, I am referencing the SX-E line with the 360° thrust bearing, not the box JD units.

Smokem I just looked on the website in your signature. Are those turbos new or rebuilt that's onthere? I'm still totally lost on all the numbers. Guess what I'm looking for is better than stock spooling. And keep egt's in check while towing. What's the difference with the t3 and t4?

I'm not the best guy to help you out, but there's others here to correct me where I'm wrong. Not many turbos are going to spool the same as your he351cw. There's a touch of tradeoff there. But the same aspects of that turbo that make it quick spooling also make it a bottleneck. When Cummins Tuner did their testing a couple years ago, the Cheetah had the same trouble the stocker did, high EGT's over 2000rpm. Test truck did have some injector.

On the t-3 vs t-4, that's the size of the flange where the turbine housing bolts to the manifold. Your factory manifold is t-3. On stock injector, t-3 should never be a limit.

On a stock size injector, and looking for good manners, I'd be tempted to look at the S362sx-e. I'm not sure on the turbine housing though. A small wastegated one- 0.7 or .8 divided assuming the divider in your manifold runs all the way to the flange. In my 07, it doesn't. Maybe that one won't move enough air for your expectations? A conversation with Weston would be best.

Last edited:
Back