Turbo professionals needed

willjames007

I posted this over at Cumminsforum.com.

Looking for as much info as possible. Plenty professionals on here, so here it goes...

Reading all these turbo threads on all these forums is making my head ache and eyes bleed. All threads are subject to opinions, so I am very open to everyone's input. I am looking for solid info on turbo applications and design. We all know that the wrong size turbo will cause tons of problems. I also know that there are tons of people on here that are pros. I am sincerely asking for those professionals to sound off and let me know their thoughts.

First off, the truck is a 09 4X4 mega with a 6" lift that pulls a camper (a lot) and is my toy, meaning that it gets its fair share of WOT romps. Camper weighs in at or around 10K...What it is not, its not going to be a sled puller or dragster. Well maybe a little dragster...

Plans are to build a daily driver in the 500-600 rwhp range with room to grow. Obtainable? I think so. I don't want it to be all tuner either. I am wanting to change out cams, turbos, CP3s, injectors and all. My current mods are in my signature block. I do know that my tranny will also have to be changed to play with serious power.

Currently, this is on my list...
Industrial Injection Street Compound Kit S67ATP with Industrial Injection Phatshaft 62 & BorgWarner S474, Modded CP3 (Fire Dragon 33%), Hamilton Cam (Street/Strip 181/210 with #110 springs and HDPR24v pushrods), Fire ring and PnP my head, 125hp nozzles, Water Meth inj, ARP 625s; and a Suncoast Mega68 to put it to the ground...

At this point guys, I am in need of some serious input. If I need to adjust my purchase, please feel free to provide some insight. I am not brand loyal or anything like that. Thanks in advance for those that input.:thankyou2:

Forrest, thanks for the quick reply. NOOB in the house. I have been reading up on turbo application, but still gathering info. 65 turbine?

phat shaft turbo = 65mm turbine. fairly small on a 5.9. I would go 68mm minimum.

lots of drive pressure with that wheel on a 6.7

More research revealed the info on the 62 Phatshaft "The PhatShaft 62 is the perfect replacement turbo for towing. The PhatShaft 62 can be purchased with a 12 or 14 turbine housing matched with a 65mm turbine."
Still working out in my head the pitch this and A/R that...tons of info...

So thanks to all that are helping...

I agree with forrest, I would go with a 64/71-74/14cm housing, even a 66mm charger would spool good on a 6.7 with a cam

I agree with forrest, I would go with a 64/71-74/14cm housing, even a 66mm charger would spool good on a 6.7 with a cam

A 66/71/14 is to small on a 6.7 as well. A s400 frame charger would flow better and keep the drive pressure down also

the 6.7's can spool a fairly large turbo with not much work. have a truck with a s465 on it. it tows heavy 95% of the time.

you are going to want a large turbine housing somewhere in 16cm range to control drive pressure, a external gate is also advisable. a silver bullet wouldnt be a bad choice...

Jason
SBT/Left Coast Diesel

From what I gather, I would be easily in the 600s. I was also kicking around the s487 with the 87LPD turbine (T6)...Thoughts?

BM3500, even if its a low drive pressure turbine?

I have s478li with the 87ldp wheel sitting in a .90 t4 housing. Fueled with gdp 150's and dual cp3's. The ldp wheel just is longer tipped in order to increase exducer flow volume on the top end. Doesn't mean it'll spool with low drive pressure. Hell mine starts spool at 1800 rpm and comes on hard at 2400. My dp is pretty much 1:1 just a few psi dp over.

Interesting. So basically, the LDP wheel is to reduce the DP on the backside only. Any benefits on the pusher side?

Pretty much. Spool up is all thermal dynamics related. Aswell as weight and wheel design.

EFI life, cp3 bag of parts, and an S366 (or S465) will do all you want. And cost $2500 + what you need on a trans.

If you want to spend 12k on what you have listed just to make 600hp....thats retarded.

Thanks roachie for your cheap shot...600 is not a target number...this is just what I figure I would be at with what I listed.

Back