Turbo Spoolup Tricks?

And thats not stupid, I thought very hard about hooking up my pure oxygen bottle from my torch to the intake but descided that was a very very bad idea lol.

a tank ass piece of iron on top of the motor
Now that is some funny chit there.

Muddin' I hear you on the head, that's what I'm going to do on the 01's motor, just clean it up then pressurize it via turbo after that.

Jim

dont turbo drag gassers inject fuel on the exhaust stroke to ignite in the header during staging to hit full boost at launch?

Muddin_dude- I have also thought about the oxygen tank, and why people don't use that instead of nitrous, since it contains 85% oxygen instead of what? 34% or something? But then I got to thinking about it, and oxygen is O2, which forms a double covalent bond to eachother. What this boils down to is oxygen is "happy" being joined to itself, and does not easily break and therefore will not react quickly enough, unlike nitrous which will.

Turbo Air Guide.

I realize there is no way i can get that charger to light at 1400rpm but I just want to help with daily driving (mostly highway type stuff anyway) and the SLIMpossibility of towing 2-3 ATV's on a small trailer.

I wish i could spray it! Maybe one day I will but this is mostly an attempt to help daily driving. I don't even have the charger back yet, so I figured I could take this time to do anything that had the potential to help, ya know?

Plus for the cost of a Nitrous setup I could buy a camshaft and not have to worry about refilling the bottle, granted it would be exactly comparable but eh. lol

Jim I know the head flow sucks, I did my port and polish and there really isn't much you can do just because of the risk to break through into a water jacket (Don't ask me how I know :doh:) I did mostly just blending, polishing and then hogged out the exhaust runners.

I never flowed my head, I tried to find a flow bench but came up with nothing?

On the subject matter of the cam does anyone know of a place in Texas that I could send the camshaft I have to them to have it spec'd out?

Thanks again everyone!

I have talked to a few guys who are running the same turbo that I am & they tell me that they can't spool till 1600-1700rpm. My gauge moves between 1300-1400rpm. I have 4.10 gears w/ 5 speed, they have 3.55 6 speeds/autos. Gears make a big difference.

Yeah I bet gearing makes a good difference, I have 3.55's and 35" tires but if I need I can use a set of 33's with 17" aluminum wheels.

This may sound stupid, and maybe not the best use of my first post on here, but why couldn't somone somehow put a one way valve into a turbo at the right angle and pre-spool a turbo with compressed air, or I guess you could even rig it to work with the nitrous you already have on board.

You could in essence have the turbo spooled almost instantly.

Obviously it would be work to probably get it done and at the correct angle, but in my head something says that would work. Although, I would be suprised if someone has not already tried something like that.

I was chatting with a guy just the other day that used to race a gasser that he'd plumbed an air bottle into the exhaust just before the turbo. He had a ball valve next to the seat. Just before launching he'd open that ball valve to give the turbine a quick hard blast of air to get it fully spooled. He said it made a big difference to his off-the-line power. Of course, this was a gasser and it's hard to say if it would work in our application, plus, it was for racing and not for daily driving and towing.

-Jay

Gearing/tire size/tranny play a big part in spool up. 35's on 3.54's with a 89%/1700 stall converter isn't exactly a turbo spooling setup. Makes for great highway cruising and top speed runs though. :D

Back