turbo surge?

GRotman

Chief Indian
I have an '05 in the shop right now that the turbo is constantly surging up and down as you are driving. Doesn't do it idling or at a high idle in N or park. I cleaned the unison-ring and chrda and reflashed to latest calibrations with no luck. It has no codes and other than exhaust is a stock truck.
Can a stuck EGR valve cause this and not throw any codes?

There's no boost in park, neutral or idle. There has to be a load on the engine to make the turbo produce pressure.

If the EGR was open it would cause the boost typically flutter under alot of load. I have see trucks that have underlying injector issues while driving along next to a wall at part throttle have the whistle appear and disappear.

Can you datalog the ebp and watch to see if the voltage is doing something strange while driving? Also. Does this truck have a MAF sensor? The non MAF trucks infer the reading. I'm willing to bet that its a non MAF truck.

At steady cruise EBPV fluctuates between 1.6v and 2.75v.

At steady cruise EBPV fluctuates between 1.6v and 2.75v.

Well thats not good. It's either opening the vanes when it sees too much pressure or the sensor is tripping out. Are the map and baro sensors at the same psi when key is on and engine is off?

Back