turbo??? vgt to regular

mattyboy72

smashy smashy
yayaya dodge guy here lol, but i got a question, lb7, it uses a t4 flange, can a guy swap the vgt action with a regular ball bearing dodge style turbo, or would the computer mess up and fight it?????

A little confusing, sorry. you say swap the vvt for a bb turbo but your working on an LB7? Do you mean mount a vvt on an LB7 or ?

lol, im sayin mount a bb turbo in place of the vvt, as the vvt turbos are expensive as hell and regular bb turbos are way cheaper, and yes it would be going on 03 dmax whatever model that is.

That's what I was getting at. An o3 LB7 has a fixed geometry turbo. o4.5 and up have a VGT.

either way , what im gettin at is, changing the factory turbo whatever it is, vvt vgt bmv tyu to a regular style turbo, can it be done or will the computer fight it???????

i was lookin at the pedestal on ppe and wherever else and it says it uses a t4 flange so???

The LB7 does not use a vgt turbo, so the computer will not know the difference other than seeing the higher boost number.

if the truck in question truely does have a VGT, i think you need some sort of EFI live tune to keep it from throwing a code. not sure if an off-shelf tuner will let you switch turbos.

ps- probably shouldve posted this in the LLY section and im sure the first person wouldve given you a straight answer lol

i was lookin at the pedestal on ppe and wherever else and it says it uses a t4 flange so???

The 01 to 04 LB7's used a fixed vane IHI turbo that had the pedestal built in to the turbo. The Variable Vane was introduced in 04.5 with the 2nd Gen LLY.

So you can put any non-VNT on the LB7 as long as you have a pedestal. The HTT is a S300 based charger that comes with a T3 pedestal in the Duramax kit. The Garrett from PPE comes with a T4 pedestal in the Duramax kit.

A 68mm (68/25.4=2.67) made mention above is too large for most for towing. If you need to tow you probably do not want to go over a 66mm compressor. The turbine side should be larger so as to not cause surging while towing.

There are several of us who are dealers for both PPE and HTT. Just find a dealer you like and trust. Both have a good kit for all around use -street/strip/towing/sled pulling.

3 options ranked smallest to largest:
Garrett 4088 Kit
HTT Promax 66 Kit
Garrett 4094 Kit

The HTT Promax 66 comes with a 66mm Compressor and a 71mm Turbine. It is also available in 3 different housings. The Stainless Steel housing will allow the turbo to spool up faster and comes in either a 13cm or a 16cm. The cast iron housing comes in a 14cm and is cheaper.

As a point of refernece the stock Dodge turbo of the same era was a 56mm compressor and a 9cm housing.

The Garretts are Ball Bearing and the HTT is Journal Bearing. The Garretts are ungated and the HTT comes with an adjustable wastegate set at 40 and can be turned up to about 45 if need be.

The HTT kit is cheaper. ;)

Hope this is helpful.
Craig

thats the answer i wanted THANK U lol, its going on a race truck so it wont tow ever, right arm thanks a bunch

Back