Turbocharger Identification

Fahlin Racing

So being a complete newby to turbine style superchargers, I would like some help on identifying different makes and whatever else should be looked at when buying not just a new one but a used good charger as well.

Bolt patterns change, housings can be different etc etc.

If anyone would care to help me out, I would greatly appreciate the generosity from you guys and/or gals! :Cheer: Small or big.

Thank you,
Jim Fahlin

I have no intention of running every single design there is. The point of this thread is so I or others can learn what to look at when observing any turbocharger when looking for a candidate or just learning in general about the differences out there.

Nothing particular to a certain design or make.

Thanks Riv.

If we want we can go all the way up to something that is being ran on a 19 litre used in pulling.

Small, medium or large buddy!! I am up for jumping into it.

Looked through the thread, no mention of bolt hole patterns or size of bolt holes, no mentioning of scroll designs either from what I had seen.

I could be unaware of how any were referred to as well and missed them.

I think it would pay you to go read one of the introductory books on the subject and come back with better questions. Books by these guys are all on Amazon. The question you're posing is akin to "how do I pick a wife?"

Corky Bell
Jay K. Miller
Hugh MacInnes

cooking + cleaning + sex drive + kinkyness = wife score, highest score wins.

aka picking a wife is much more simple.

I guess the technicality level of what I am looking for must be quite a bit and only parts books and design books will entail. I will just let turbos be someone elses worry.

So much for a good thread, mods go ahead and torch this thread.

Thanks for those putting effort in!

I guess the technicality level of what I am looking for must be quite a bit and only parts books and design books will entail. I will just let turbos be someone elses worry.

So much for a good thread, mods go ahead and torch this thread.

Something that can't be accounted for is production changes as ordered by customers. Engine manufactures sometimes have subsidiaries of turbo manufacturers applied to them.

What may be an S300 in the aftermarket will not be the same for an OE manufacturer with a different life expectancy.

Thanks for those putting effort in!

FWIW both the books from corky bell and Hugh McInnes(sp) address and in some cases discuss the design level changes. There are simply too many to address

From my Not-So-Smart phone

Last edited:
Something that can't be accounted for is production changes as ordered by customers. Engine manufactures sometimes have subsidiaries of turbo manufacturers applied to them.

What may be an S300 in the aftermarket will not be the same for an OE manufacturer with a different life expectancy.

Actually you have it totally ass-backwards. Aftermarket (i.e. "performance" turbos that the public can buy) are a TINY segment of what the Big 3 Turbo guys make. The lion's share of everything is OEM stuff. It's how all of them stay in business.....

Fahlin, not trying to blow you off, it's just that if you include OEM stuff then there are at least a dozen different varieties of a GT42 for example....the variants are so many that you could take years and write a book on what was built for who and why they chose that flange, etc. If you could see inside that matrix, and understand the size of it, I think you would see where I'm coming from.

I'm not clear on what it is you think I have "ass backward", since you took the time to reiterate what I had already stated.

Oh well.

Yeah, understandable.

Perhaps the involvement of both aftermarket and OEM eventually will be put together, by whom, who knows. Most likely not the same person. I had an engine database for gasoline engines 1-4s up to v8s. Two years worth of tech went bye bye when my computer crashed. Casting numbers, part materials to bolt quantities used for oil pans and valve covers etc etc........ gone

Last edited:
I'm not clear on what it is you think I have "ass backward", since you took the time to reiterate what I had already stated.

Oh well.

The quoted text was Fahlins, wasn't it?....so it wasnt directed at you....

No. It was an edit I had made with my phone to my post a few hours before yours. It didn't post though. I'm now sure how you could see it. I thought it was lost.

I'm still curious about your post.

No. It was an edit I had made with my phone to my post a few hours before yours. It didn't post though. I'm now sure how you could see it. I thought it was lost.

I'm still curious about your post.

It came from post #12......and I'm totally lost now....

Back