Turbo's and air density.

I thought the biggest factor though was with lower inlet secondary temps it allows it to be able to recompress the air more/better so the density or lb/min would increase which should increase power?

-Joe, have you thought about pushing the primary harder in your twin setup if you can, since you would be able to cool it down from the high temps. Might yield more power?

Last edited:
Well the primary sets the final HP, however it should light sooner, and you should have power lower in the rpm range with the twins. Intercooling between stages will do nothing for final power as you are not introducing any additional air into the system, no matter what the temperature is.

However your secondary should live longer.

dyno results on a 1138hp truck prove other wise as far as intercooling bewtween stages. lost almost 150hp with out the air to water in between stages.

Does Eric have any dyno sheets from that by chance?

I know it was back in the day but would be cool to see it on paper.

I guess it's shoe horned inside the engine compartment now. Unfortunately it will be mid next month before i can get it on the dyno. I was on that dyno a few months back so that should give me a fairly accurate comparison for this.
I haven't changed anything else so it should be apples to apples.

dyno results on a 1138hp truck prove other wise as far as intercooling bewtween stages. lost almost 150hp with out the air to water in between stages.

I would say you could probably run a bigger primary then, as it sounds like you may be out of air. The cooling in the charge pipe is lowering the pressure inbetween stages allowing the primary to gain efficiency hence the decrease in power without . You are maxxing out your air when the interstage cooling is not there.

I would say you could probably run a bigger primary then, as it sounds like you may be out of air. The cooling in the charge pipe is lowering the pressure inbetween stages allowing the primary to gain efficiency hence the decrease in power without . You are maxxing out your air when the interstage cooling is not there.

I don't know for certain but I believe he ran a 62/??/?? secondary and a S595 primary.

It would be interested to see how well interstage cooling or how much efficiency gain there is with interstage cooling with compressors designed for better high pressure performance.

Since it's installed in the truck instead of laying on the fender, I need to come up with a water tank to put in the bed. Instead of running a radiator with a fan, is there a spot that gets enough air flow(other than in the front) to keep the water near outside temp without a fan. Be nice if i could just mount an aluminum radiator underneath the bed or anywhere that was out of the way. Normal driving with only a few lbs of boost off the primary i wouldn't think the water would get too hot with maybe a 10-12 gallon tank and the water going through a radiator before it goes back into the tank.
Thanks.
RonA

Last edited:
i put some frozen boost heat exchangers in the place where my spare tire is supposed to go. It works fine for cruising in town or down the highway, don't need to run the fans, but the fans are needed for any type of hot rodding or racing. I also run the frozen boost little water tank in the bed of the truck. it isn't any wider than the wheel well so I can still haul 4x8 sheets of anything, I miss my stack but do like the utility of a full size bed.

i have 2 of these mounted under the bed

Air to Water Heat Exchanger

Open wide and say aaaaaahhhhhhaaair/water.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 0
Nice Ron looks clean up top. I like how its tucked in the fender. Is your air filters down low by the inner fender area?

Filter is underneath. John(stackx2) did a nice job putting it in. It's a bit large but it's in.

For some reason my truck isn't liking this so I'm going to have to take it out. The primary is lethargic and it feels like I've lost quite a bit of power on top. I made a pull with it this morning(without the water) and it confirmed my suspicions. Just driving it around at partial throttle it feels like I went up a size or 2 on my exhaust housing. Oh Well.

Any suspicions as to why all that happened?

Like some fancy science words and such.

For some reason my truck isn't liking this so I'm going to have to take it out. The primary is lethargic and it feels like I've lost quite a bit of power on top. I made a pull with it this morning(without the water) and it confirmed my suspicions. Just driving it around at partial throttle it feels like I went up a size or 2 on my exhaust housing. Oh Well.

can you get the driveability back through tuning?

Ron, not to be a Debbie Doubter, but when was the last time you drove it? What were the ambient conditions back then compared to now?

I can see there being some added lag but 1-2 housing sizes worth of lag sounds like there has to be another factor like 25-30* warmer intake air from the mid-May weather.

Back