Turbo's???

calbertson

I have been contemplating a new turbo for my lb7. I am currently getting around 25mpg with my current setup: edge attitude, afe intake, and mbrp 5in exhaust, while turning 35's(plans to stack a second programer or get EFI live). I closed off the vacuum waste gate controler one day and saw a great improvement in spooling and in overall boost. I am looking for electronic controlled turbo and i would like to get more power on the bottom end. My stock turbo doesnt really pick up untill 1800-2000 rpm. I am open to many options but i do not want to completely kill my fuel efficiency. I am deployed to iraq at the moment so i have all kinds of time. Some ideas and maybe some pointers to get me going would help...thanxxx

well if you really do have an LB7, an electronic turbo isnt gonna happen for ya, thats only on the LLY's and up. any aftermarket turbo that isnt too big will usually help with spooling up (gt37, A3k, something like those)

I have been contemplating a new turbo for my lb7. I am currently getting around 25mpg with my current setup: edge attitude, afe intake, and mbrp 5in exhaust, while turning 35's(plans to stack a second programer or get EFI live). I closed off the vacuum waste gate controler one day and saw a great improvement in spooling and in overall boost. I am looking for electronic controlled turbo and i would like to get more power on the bottom end. My stock turbo doesnt really pick up untill 1800-2000 rpm. I am open to many options but i do not want to completely kill my fuel efficiency. I am deployed to iraq at the moment so i have all kinds of time. Some ideas and maybe some pointers to get me going would help...thanxxx

25 MPG? WITH 35s? i dont think so

but the DIC says soo:hehe:

besst i have done is 22mpg with 35s in the summer... course i am not lifted either...

efi live can increase turbo spool via tuning is 75% of how the turbo spools on the LB7

32psi is about max on the IHI lb7 turbo anything above that is waiting on a death for it.

dont recall you have a transmission in you sig.... def wise inverstment on these... if one is planing on getting efi live...

fwiw minestarts spooling about 1600-1700rpm.... cruising @ 65mph with 35s i have 2-3psi of boost ~1600rpm

i do think so because i have driven this truck as it is my brothers and we are getting this kinda of fuel mileage if you drive casual and not on the pedal all the time. unless you think that is too low for that set up but on edge lvl 5 and cruising down the road at about 70-75 max without smoking it all the time it gets around 25 mpg.

and if he dont edit it he has stock 6 spd manual trans with a sbc not for sure on the model of the clutch but we have had to upgrade.:Cheer:

i do think so because i have driven this truck as it is my brothers and we are getting this kinda of fuel mileage if you drive casual and not on the pedal all the time. unless you think that is too low for that set up but on edge lvl 5 and cruising down the road at about 70-75 max without smoking it all the time it gets around 25 mpg.

and if he dont edit it he has stock 6 spd manual trans with a sbc not for sure on the model of the clutch but we have had to upgrade.:Cheer:

that could make the diffrence right there.

most are 19-22mpg on avg manul and auto setups.... there have been know some trucks that will cappable with more....but there are few and far between

thanks malibu, i was kinda hoping more people would take me seriously but thats the name of the game i suppose.

2-3 psi at 1600rpm for cruising but how does it spool when you get into it...how long does it lagg before it really lites? how does it perform with a load? and is there any f***ing way to get away from that vacuum controled turbo???

thanks malibu, i was kinda hoping more people would take me seriously but thats the name of the game i suppose.

2-3 psi at 1600rpm for cruising but how does it spool when you get into it...how long does it lagg before it really lites? how does it perform with a load? and is there any f***ing way to get away from that vacuum controled turbo???

little slow till i hit 1700-1800rpm then it spool nicely

cruising under 1600rpm it lugs the motor pretty hard

and there is no vaccum controll on the turbos ;) they are controll via boost singal

my bad i was thinkin it was vacuum controlled. i would still like to get away from that setup if possible. if i can do that maybe i can achieve what the boost on the bottom end that im looking for without a new turbo. does anyone know of a way to control the turbo otherwise???

Unfortunately, the only way to fix your turbo is to get a different one or get a PPE boost valve or Banks Bighead . The IHI Turbos on the LB7s are internally wastegated. The wastegate is inside the exhaust housing and the actuator that you see on the outside is what controls the gate.

If you do a turbo and if your not planning on over 650 hp go with high tech with the ss exhaust housing it's well worth it drives and tows great

Back