Turn on Left Blinker and Reverse lights flash WTF??

Texas Cowboy

Proudly Serving
Called home couple days ago and seems the 96' has developed a problem. When the left blinker is turned on (it does flash like it should) the reverse lights on both sides with flash on and off with the blinker. Now dad said the reverse lights just barely light up but enough to be seen. He found the reverse lights wire under the hood (he said purple colored) and when the left blinker is turned on it is getting power there as well as from back of the truck were he started tracking the issue down. I have the service manual on my laptop over here and cannot figure out the issue or where to tell him the problem is. I searched here and did not find much. He had 2 mechanics look at it and they could not figure it out. Has anyone had or seen this problem before and how do you fix it? Truck is used to haul daily and it needs working lights to avoid the cops. Thanks.

Daniel

Factory trailer plug wiring or something somebody spliced in? That would be a good place to start and check for corrosion, etc.

My dually had the same issue when I bought it. It had one of those cheesy aftermarket trailer wiring harnesses for a fifth wheel receptacle in the box, that plugged into the factory harness and the light bulbs, as well as a couple other wires off the factory trailer harness. Ended up ripping the whole thing out and taping up the bad connections it had when it tied into the factory trailer harness. Been good to this day.

Truck has no aftermarket trailer wriring harness in the rear. Just has the factory 7-in harness. But it does have a brake controler that is tied in under the dash. Dad unplugged it and still the same. He also said it does not have the blue plug like my 98' has. Do you think the brake controler splicing in into the harness under the dash could be it?

Truck has no aftermarket trailer wriring harness in the rear. Just has the factory 7-in harness. But it does have a brake controler that is tied in under the dash. Dad unplugged it and still the same. He also said it does not have the blue plug like my 98' has. Do you think the brake controler splicing in into the harness under the dash could be it?

I doubt the brake controller has anything to do with it. Common points where the left turn signal wire and the reverse light wire are next to each other would be good places to look (make sure the harness didn't rub on something, etc.) Grounds would be a good thing to check since they're dim when they come on.

You have a bad ground and its feeding back through the revers light circuit. I believe that if you step on the brake the driving lights and the reverse light might light slightly. check your grounds for the tail lights. If you want to know where to look? I would suggest you join Mopar1973Man's site and he has wiring harness and ground location down loads available.

Good luck.

It sounds like a ground issue. I had a very similar problem with my '96 chev, but it was only when I had a gooseneck hooked up. Had a bad ground in the trailer plug harness, and it back-fed through the reverse lights to find a ground. Fixed the ground issue (broken wire) and everything was all fine and dandy once again.

Last edited:
Back