turn up exhaust enforced

I brought this up in their forum:
2012 rules - Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together

See Chuck's response around post #13. I really fail to see how a full exhaust is a safety issue if pointing out horizontally, kinda hard for turbo parts to maintain any kind of velocity when bouncing along the full length of the truck and through several bends! And a full exhaust is NOT going to smoke the lights no matter how much smoke you have unless the wind is blowing forward AND you have smoked a metric ton while spooling. The whole point of the full exhaust is to move the exit point to the rear of the vehicle.

i agree with you Michael. It will take quite a bit for turbo parts to have any velocity through a full exhaust...
Could almost say hoodstacks shouldn't be allowed because turbo parts will have way more velocity out of one of those and could come down and fall on someones head.

I could see requiring crossbolts with hoodstacks. I have had hot turbo parts rained down on me before from a hood stack, it's not fun! If I ever run a hood stack it will have cross bolts.

Ive seen an exhaust wheel fly out a single stack on a 6.0. I would say cross bolts should be required.

I have cross bolts in the down pipe as I've also been rained upon from a turbo explosion(not mine, lol). Just a good thing to do.

The biggest issue with the turn ups like that is the weight. Most people don't want such a short turn up, because it'll dirty their trucks...um...ok....

I actually have a supplier that deals with heavier gauge Aluminum. I wonder if I can get some 5" elbows. This would allow to have the exhaust turn up, but not really add any extra weight or stress to the rest of the exhaust system....

There was mentioned at one time cars being able to dump down under car instead of turned up, is that still good to go?

I could see requiring crossbolts with hoodstacks. I have had hot turbo parts rained down on me before from a hood stack, it's not fun! If I ever run a hood stack it will have cross bolts.

Agreed. The hood stack on the WOP Pro-Stock truck was outfitted with cross bolts for this very reason. Blown turbos has never been an issue for us, but it's not worth risking...driver safety shouldn't be the only concern at the track, crew members, track officials and spectators too.

See Chuck's response around post #13. I really fail to see how a full exhaust is a safety issue if pointing out horizontally, kinda hard for turbo parts to maintain any kind of velocity when bouncing along the full length of the truck and through several bends! And a full exhaust is NOT going to smoke the lights no matter how much smoke you have unless the wind is blowing forward AND you have smoked a metric ton while spooling. The whole point of the full exhaust is to move the exit point to the rear of the vehicle.
I lost in the first round this year with a borrowed truck. Too much smoke in an unfamiliar truck with a slight forward wind and I was out.

Whoopsee!!!

They kicked me off the track after this for not having proper safety equipment to run 9's. Lol

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jRIR5mVXkk&feature=youtube_gdata_player"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jRIR5mVXkk&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/ame]

I blew the exhaust wheel on one of my primaries it cut a slit all the way through the 1st bend over the axle and shot out the tip and was no where to be found! Luckily no one was around, i installed crossbolts in the downpipe.

Yeah I argued this point last year my self. My 06 has full exhaust with muffler and CAT and they still said I need a turn up for safety purposes. Some how they believe a stack or hood stock throwing parts vertically in the air is safer for spectators:bang. Smoking the lights is a concern but the rules say you smoke the lights you DQ. Simple enough The wife and I have yet to smoke out the lights in that truck and I refuse to put a stack on my daily driver.

Yeah I argued this point last year my self. My 06 has full exhaust with muffler and CAT and they still said I need a turn up for safety purposes. Some how they believe a stack or hood stock throwing parts vertically in the air is safer for spectators:bang. Smoking the lights is a concern but the rules say you smoke the lights you DQ. Simple enough The wife and I have yet to smoke out the lights in that truck and I refuse to put a stack on my daily driver.

I'm pretty sure a cat will slow down a turbine wheel plenty enough to be safe for spectators.

Back