Twins and fuel or single and nitrous?

BgBlDodge

Hates hippies
Well I'm getting to a point with my truck that I need to decide which way I wanna go. My goal is 600+hp. Really more like 650+. Actually, I just want all that I can get and I don't care how I get it but I want it. It's still gonna have to be fairly streetable meaning I don't want a big smoky pig that doesn't come alive till 70mph. Good lord willing next summer it will become a weekend cruiser. I wanna do drag racing with this truck so I need something fast spooling and that can make a lot of power. I'd love to make a ton of power on fuel only and be able to say I have twin turbos but I'm not gonna convert it to a p-pump and I don't think a VP will go much over 675hp on fuel alone. Don't even mention the monster pumps cause I'm still not sold that they are worth it and won't be for a long time. I talked to a respected vendor today for a while and he's saying go with a silver 62 and nitrous for the best power and times. I'm all for keeping things simple with a single but twins just seem more streetable. I will be doing an H2 cam with a ported head so that's gonna help out.

I guess what I'm asking is which route should I go for a pretty streetable, powerful, very fast 4x4 truck with some reliability. I do have enough self control not to use all the power all the time. LOL :hehe:

Get it fuelin hard and id go with a 62 and a s400 or k31. that way your have power to play wit on the street and dont worry bout the spray till the track. the 62 will spool fast enough to make it streetable and get the bottom charger lit. IMO

Last edited:
I know I have a CR truck.....but I am rollin' around 650ish to the ground on #2 right now with a SPS62. I dont see much more than 1500* at the end of the 1/4 on #2 only. This turbo is makin' boost as low as 1000 rpm, and is fully lit by 1400-1500 rpms. Like I said CR's behave a little differently, but this is my experiance. I went with Nitrous simply because I cant fathom putting out another 1500-2000 bucks for another turbo, when a turbo in a bottle is less than half that price, and essentially does the same job!!

Go with twins, way more fun on the street, and filling bottles gets expensive and they dont last long.

dzlfarmboy said:
Go with twins, way more fun on the street, and filling bottles gets expensive and they dont last long.

My thoughts exactly. Only thing better, is Twins AND Spray:D:D

Chris

yes go Twins go modified s300 and s400 and you can support the power and it works good I would go that route but I got a great deal on my ht3b and was to cheap to spend the money on a bigger top turbo yet.

Signature600 said:
My thoughts exactly. Only thing better, is Twins AND Spray:D:D

Chris

That's what I was thinking bout doing but was steered away from it.

I'm a little bias but I really like my Bullet and Bottle! I run around at say 625...a guess...with fuel and water/meth on a day to day basis, add the bottle and your at 800+. The lower day to day hp keeps you from breaking so much stuff! I built and ran Twins for years and may do it again but there a head ache in curtain ways, the single all I have done is check the nut tightness........that's it!

Jim

The biggest thing is is that I probably won't spray at all on the street and while I am turning this truck into a weekend cruiser I'm not gonna turn it in to a drag only truck. So I need something that's gonna have a lot of power all of the time and a butt load of power when I need it.

Twins.

Here's what I've run in the last 2 years:
hx35 = smoky & hot
40/b2 = beautiful, mostly clean HP, easily streetable twins
KSB1 = smoky, hot, spools as fast as HX35, very streetable
68mm garrett = smoky until lit. cooled exactly like a hx35/ht3b setup, streetable
GT42 = smoky until it was lit, serious air flow, not very streetable on a 12v but I did anyway
HTT PS66 = medium smoke, moderate air, very streetable but toasty
PS66/T-92 = :evil looks good on the workbench.

THere's probably more, I've only sprayed the GT42 and the PS66. Both respond well to nitrous until they melt and crack. Try to keep the EGT < 1800 and I htink they'd be more likely to survive.

brandon.

Last edited:
Ahh yes. Brandon and his street driven GT42. LOL If I go twins then I'll be using my 62 and mounting an S400 underneath it. With my current setup I'm pegging 1500* by 70mph and I trap at 96mph so I'll be surprised if I'm under 1800* right now.

What about twins and nitrous? Use the twins for everyday driving power and only use the nitrous for the track and dyno's? Cause in all reality I won't be spraying every time I wanna go full throttle but I still want a massive amount of power on the street. Guess I can't have my cake and eat it to. LOL

I'd get hte twins setup to 600 as a small step up first. 600 feels outrageous on the street- anything above that and it doesn't feel safe to me. 600+ isn't very usable on public streets either. I do have two spare 71-74mm Garrett 'chargers and a bottle that may tempt ya. :poke:

brandon.

Attachments

• turbox2nx.jpg
    turbox2nx.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 30
That's what I'm figuring. You can't really run more than 600hp on the street without getting dangerous and whatever power level I'm at now just isn't enough on the streets (I'm praying for over 500hp) and I don't wanna be restricted to that. Decisions decisions. And your sombrero is reminding me that I've got some corona in the fridge.

:ft: + :ft: +*nx* =:evil
I have that 68 that Joe Sombrero had with a 85 garret. It is laggy enough that you hafta try to get in trouble on the street, but once its going, its COLD egts and 120mph is here before you know it. I use the *nx* to spool it on the line at the track, then its fast off the line. I get pretty good nitrous economy with it only spraying 100hp at low boost.

Back