Twins Set up HELP!!!!

Cummins called it a intercooler, and when it is installed in the intake manifold they call it a aftercooler. Come to think of it Cat does it the same way. So who should I call the authority the engineer's that design the engines or you?

Is that why its the 6BTA, A for intercooled?

I would assume A stands for Aftercooled. Our dodge Cummins engines are intercooled, if you do not think so just read what is on the doors of most dodge cummins truck from 1994 to 2002.

Mine says Cummins Turbo Diesel, and Cummins 24 Valve Turbo Diesel. :what:

Intercooling is between compression stages. Aftercooling is after compression Doesn't specify method.

Intercooler is a UK term and Aftercooler is a US term. It is the same exact thing.

An intercooler (original UK term, sometimes aftercooler in US practice), or charge air cooler, is an air-to-air or air-to-liquid heat exchange device used on turbocharged and supercharged (forced induction) internal combustion engines to improve their volumetric efficiency by increasing intake air charge density through nearly isobaric (constant pressure) cooling.

Last edited:
Snoot has a very good picture in post 24 of this thread sixth picture from the top. It has intercooled on the valve cover.

Back