Twins suggestions wanted...

RacinDuallie

Black Sheep Racing
I have a new B1-EX-4 Turbo that I ported the turbine housing, and thermal barrier coated both cases ( compressor and turbine ) I ran this for about a month and it was great... then I lost the headgasket:aiwebs_029: After removing the head and seeing shrapnel impacted pistons from the HX-40 fragments that got sucked in after it disintegrated while under a heavy throttle, and seeing that every exhaust seat in the head had multiple heat cracks, I decided on refreshening everything and upgrade parts along the way.

Now my build is almost done and I'm toying with adding a second turbo to go with this B1.... Or would I be better off selling the B1 ( or shelving it ) and getting a bigger set?:doh:

What's your opinion is the B1 too small for this?:aiwebs_029:

:evil LOL LOL

Is there a reason why you want to run twins? Unless your towing and want the EGT reduction, personally I think a single is the way to go.

I'm inclined to agree with Ted here. you can get a single to make good power much cheaper than twins. You may not be able to make as much peak power, but the diffrence in cost will offset the diffrence IMO

Thats what I was getting at, nobody drives a daily driver at peak power anyhow, so who cares what it is really. You can daily drive pretty much any injector out there, with the singles that are being produced today.

Well with the injectors(6's) the HX-40 used to really choke and the smoke would be reeeeal heavy, the B1 cleaned it up by alot. Now with the new engine I want to be able to maximize my power output- (I don't tow with my duallie -we have a Peterbilt for that..) But I enjoy racing it and am really pretty heavy with my throttle foot. I was just looking for info on a second turbo I could possibly use along with the B1.... Or will the B1 choke?

Sorry, no experience with the B1's, never had one never will. I liked the HX 40's better, but with todays technology I think there both outdated. I run Mach 6's, with a Phat Shaft, and can control the smoke pretty good, well enought that you wouldn't know I have mach 6's at least. Sorry I can't help, I have never been a fan of twins.

Sorry right there with ob1kobi, no experiance with the B1
Tell me about it.

If its anything close to a 40 than use a HTB3. Can get one of those brandy new for under 7 bills.
I'm runnig a Phat shaft from HTT and it seems to be ok but I REALLY need more air.
I can blow allot of smoke with the box off so I'm looking at a HTB3 for a bottom turbo as well.

dan

i have heard about a b2 below a b1, power by poole does it and a buddy of mine had a set until he sold them for a single in his pulling truck.

I have an 62/14 over a S400, which would be similar to a B1 over a B2. I don't think the B1 would be much of a choke point, but if drive pressures start getting to high, put an external wastegate on it. A B1 over a B2, should be good to about 750hp. If you want to go much bigger then a B1 as a secondary, then you will probably want to go larger on the primary as well.

Not to start a debate over single vs. twin, but two reasons made me go to twins over a large single. One is durability. With the twins I am not working either turbo nearly as hard as I was working the single. Two, spoolup. My twins spool way faster then the large single I had.

Paul

zukgod1 said:
Sorry right there with ob1kobi, no experiance with the B1
Tell me about it.

If its anything close to a 40 than use a HTB3. Can get one of those brandy new for under 7 bills.
I'm runnig a Phat shaft from HTT and it seems to be ok but I REALLY need more air.
I can blow allot of smoke with the box off so I'm looking at a HTB3 for a bottom turbo as well.

dan

You are smoking a bunch with the box off because you have no boost fooling, and a big set of sticks. How are your EGT's?

Timbeaux38 said:
You are smoking a bunch with the box off because you have no boost fooling, and a big set of sticks. How are your EGT's?

A drag comp still does boost fooling even when it is off. I run 45psi boost even when the box is off, and EGT's are max ~1050.

Paul

Timbeaux38 said:

Ya what Paul said, I still have the boost fooler in place just big sticks and in my oppinion not enough air.

My EGTs are workable with the box off but if that sucka is on I have to babysit the EGT gauge.

dan

Here's the B1-EX-4 Turbo, Jet Hot thermal barrier coated....

I'm starting to feel it's too small for my needs.....

Attachments

• IMG_0036_1.JPG
    IMG_0036_1.JPG
    62.2 KB · Views: 51
I have had personal experience with the BD Twins. On a friends truck. They use 2, S300 Turbos (WHICH i think that B1 is very close on spec). These things are TIGHT! Very quick to spool and he can run WOT to 119 MPH with the needle just touching 1300* @ 60 LBS of boost!!! Far cry from his old HX-55 he had....that thing would get hot just looking at it! He just dynoed 620+ and 1300+ Ft/Lbs........impressed me! Might check into options at BD (OR other manufactures) to see if they offer a kit with a missing Secondary.........a "Fill in the blank" type kit........

I would use a B2 under that B1...like PaulB said, shouldn't choke! It will be a bit laggy, but if you like the B1, you're already used to it :D Should make for an awesome setup!

That's what I was going to do, but I'm going a little more exotic now ;)
Chris

Back